"Range striding over charsets"

  • drkm
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 4, 2005
      Hi

      I just had the following message from nXML:

      Internal error in rng-validate-mode triggered at buffer
      position 148. Invalid regexp: "Range striding over charsets".

      I have the following minimal example:

      <?xml version="1.0"?>
      <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
      <xsl:strip-space elements="fo:table-cell"/>
      </xsl:stylesheet>

      (position 148 is at the end of the line with the strip-space element).
      I don't understand this. Does the problem arise with your
      installation?

      --drkm
    • Thomas Haselberger
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 4, 2005
        "drkm" <darkman_spam@...> writes:

        > Hi
        >
        > I just had the following message from nXML:
        >
        > Internal error in rng-validate-mode triggered at buffer
        > position 148. Invalid regexp: "Range striding over charsets".
        >
        > I have the following minimal example:
        >
        > <?xml version="1.0"?>
        > <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
        > <xsl:strip-space elements="fo:table-cell"/>
        > </xsl:stylesheet>
        >
        > (position 148 is at the end of the line with the strip-space element).
        > I don't understand this. Does the problem arise with your
        > installation?

        no. version 20041004 here.

        tom
      • drkm
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 5, 2005
          Thomas Haselberger wrote:

          > "drkm" writes:

          > > <?xml version="1.0"?>
          > > <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
          > > xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
          > > <xsl:strip-space elements="fo:table-cell"/>
          > > </xsl:stylesheet>

          > > I don't understand this. Does the problem arise with your
          > > installation?

          > no. version 20041004 here.

          Here too. But I didn't explain the whole thing, sorry. After
          pasting the text above in a fresh buffer, you have to be in validation
          mode ('C-c C-v' if you don't see 'Valid' nor 'Invalid' in the mode
          bar) and associate the buffer with the XSLT schema ('C-c C-s C-t XSLT
          <RET>' while in validation mode).

          My Emacs is: GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of
          2005-04-17 on LAPTOP.

          I didn't find something related in my config. If you can't
          reproduce the problem, I'll investiguate further (like installing a
          newer CVS Emacs).

          Thanks for your help,

          --drkm
        • cwulfman
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 25, 2006
            This problem cropped up for me in a recent CVS Emacs update. One of the emacs
            developers sent me this message:

            >I found why this error happens. In the recent CVS Emacs, as
            >utf-translate-cjk-mode is on by default, some Unicode
            >characters will be decoded into one of CJK character set.
            >But, as xsdre-range-list-to-char-alternative (xsd-regexp.el)
            >simply do something like this to generate a character range:
            >(format "%c-%c" (decode-char 'ucs FROM) (decode-char 'ucs TO))
            >the resulting regexp causes the above error.

            He suggests the following fix:

            (setq chars
            (mapcar (lambda (c)
            (let ((utf-translate-cjk-mode nil))
            (decode-char 'ucs c)))
            chars))

            >in xsdre-range-list-to-char-alternative to avoid the current
            >problem. It may be good to tell about this to the
            >developper of nxml-mode.

            I don't know if James Clark (or anyone else) is continuing to maintain nxml-mode, but this
            patch seems to have solved my problem for the moment, anyway.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 25, 2006
              cwulfman wrote:
              > This problem cropped up for me in a recent CVS Emacs update. One of the emacs
              > developers sent me this message:
              >

              >> I found why this error happens. In the recent CVS Emacs, as
              >> utf-translate-cjk-mode is on by default, some Unicode
              >> characters will be decoded into one of CJK character set.
              >> But, as xsdre-range-list-to-char-alternative (xsd-regexp.el)
              >> simply do something like this to generate a character range:
              >> (format "%c-%c" (decode-char 'ucs FROM) (decode-char 'ucs TO))
              >> the resulting regexp causes the above error.
              >>

              > He suggests the following fix:
              >
              > (setq chars
              > (mapcar (lambda (c)
              > (let ((utf-translate-cjk-mode nil))
              > (decode-char 'ucs c)))
              > chars))
              >

              >> in xsdre-range-list-to-char-alternative to avoid the current
              >> problem. It may be good to tell about this to the
              >> developper of nxml-mode.
              >>

              > I don't know if James Clark (or anyone else) is continuing to maintain nxml-mode, but this
              > patch seems to have solved my problem for the moment, anyway.

              Could you please send this as a diff -c patch?

              Is there anyone who can host these patches? (I can do that temporary,
              but I have no really good backup on my site.)
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 26, 2006
                Lennart Borgman wrote:

                > Is there anyone who can host these patches? (I can
                > do that temporary, but I have no really good backup
                > on my site.)

                I can host them somewhere in my SF.net site (on the website or in the
                CVS repository, but I don't think it's necessary).

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 26, 2006
                  On 25/01/06, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@...> wrote:

                  > Is there anyone who can host these patches? (I can do that temporary,
                  > but I have no really good backup on my site.)

                  Possibly easier as a new install of nxml-mode?
                  (perhaps as well as a diff file?)
                  I'll add it to my relax-ng faq site if it helps.

                • cwulfman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 26, 2006
                    Here it is:

                    *** xsd-regexp.el Wed Jan 25 09:20:34 2006
                    --- xsd-regexp.el.bk Wed Jan 25 08:57:18 2006
                    ***************
                    *** 401,415 ****
                    (cons last chars)
                    (cons last (cons ?- chars))))))
                    (setq range-list (cdr range-list)))
                    - ;; Changed below to handle error "range striding over charsets"
                    - ;; (setq chars
                    - ;; (mapcar (lambda (c)
                    - ;; (decode-char 'ucs c))
                    - ;; chars))
                    (setq chars
                    (mapcar (lambda (c)
                    ! (let ((utf-translate-cjk-mode nil))
                    ! (decode-char 'ucs c)))
                    chars))
                    (when caret
                    (setq chars (cons ?^ chars)))
                    --- 401,409 ----
                    (cons last chars)
                    (cons last (cons ?- chars))))))
                    (setq range-list (cdr range-list)))
                    (setq chars
                    (mapcar (lambda (c)
                    ! (decode-char 'ucs c))
                    chars))
                    (when caret
                    (setq chars (cons ?^ chars)))
                    ***************
                    *** 423,430 ****
                    (setq chars '(?- ?^ ?\])))
                    (setq chars (cons ?\[ chars))
                    (apply 'string chars)))
                    -
                    -

                    ;;; Parsing

                    --- 417,422 ----

                    --- In emacs-nxml-mode@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 26, 2006
                      cwulfman wrote:

                      Hi

                      > Here it is:

                      > *** xsd-regexp.el Wed Jan 25 09:20:34 2006
                      > --- xsd-regexp.el.bk Wed Jan 25 08:57:18 2006

                      You generated it the wrong side :-p. Here is a correct one IMHO.
                      BTW, I added this binding around a second use of 'decode-char'. I
                      guess it is correct, while I have not investigued a lot.

                      It's available at:

                      http//drkm-lib.sf.net/nxml/xsd-regexp.el.2006-01-26.patch

                      --drkm

                      *** xsd-regexp.el.orig Fri Jan 27 00:31:24 2006
                      --- xsd-regexp.el Fri Jan 27 00:32:20 2006
                      ***************
                      *** 290,296 ****
                      (defun xsdre-compile-single-char (ch)
                      (if (memq ch '(?. ?* ?+ ?? ?\[ ?\] ?^ ?$ ?\\))
                      (string ?\\ ch)
                      ! (string (decode-char 'ucs ch))))

                      (defun xsdre-char-class-to-range-list (cc)
                      "Return a range-list for a symbolic char-class."
                      --- 290,297 ----

                      *** 403,409 ****
                      --- 404,411 ----

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 26, 2006
                        drkm wrote:

                        > It's available at:

                        > http//drkm-lib.sf.net/nxml/xsd-regexp.el.2006-01-26.patch

                        http://drkm-lib.sf.net/nxml/xsd-regexp.el.2006-01-26.patch

                        Indeed.

                      • Paul Sleigh
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 30, 2006
                          Thanks for this bugfix. That error message was driving me nuts. I
                          thought for a second that the bugfix hadn't worked, until I noticed
                          that my custom "recompile everything" function wasn't recompiling my
                          ~/nxml directory. All good now. Thanks!
                        • Jochen+emacs-nxml-mode@Hayek.name
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 18, 2007
                            I started using nxml-mode with emacs-22.1 from a suse-10.3 "factory" release.

                            During installation of the RPMs I read a message,
                            saying that nxml-mode conflicts with Mule-UCS,
                            which was made a "provides" tag of one of the emacs RPM.

                            I overrid this problem, as I am mostly interested in iso-8859-1 files,
                            but I would still prefer to see this problem solved.

                            I wonder whether this problem is related to

                            resp.

                          • Jason Rumney
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 18, 2007
                              Jochen+emacs-nxml-mode@... wrote:

                              > I started using nxml-mode with emacs-22.1 from a suse-10.3 "factory"
                              > release.
                              >
                              > During installation of the RPMs I read a message,
                              > saying that nxml-mode conflicts with Mule-UCS,
                              > which was made a "provides" tag of one of the emacs RPM.

                              I guess whoever packaged emacs-22.1 helpfully made it "provide"
                              mule-ucs since all the functionality that used to be provided by
                              mule-ucs is now part of emacs. But since it is different code, and built
                              in, it doesn't conflict with nxml-mode and other packages in the same way.
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 19, 2007
                                On 18/06/07, Jason Rumney <jasonr@...> wrote:
                                > Jochen+emacs-nxml-mode@... wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I started using nxml-mode with emacs-22.1 from a suse-10.3 "factory"
                                > > release.
                                > >
                                > > During installation of the RPMs I read a message,
                                > > saying that nxml-mode conflicts with Mule-UCS,
                                > > which was made a "provides" tag of one of the emacs RPM.

                                I'm using 22.1 with nxml-mode daily. If there is a conflict it doesn't show
                                in daily use.

                                Is this the list to suggest that nxml-mode is stable, high quality
                                and very useful for any XML, XSLT XSL-FO work?

                                Could it be considered for adoption and delivery with emacs?

                                Then the right people could remove such conflicts. nxml-mode was designed
                                in 2003 and the author has moved on to other (charity) work and no
                                longer supports it.

                              • paul killey
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 20, 2007
                                  On Jun 19, 2007, Dave Pawson wrote (re: Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] emacs-22.1,...

                                  > Is this the list to suggest that nxml-mode is stable, high quality and
                                  > very useful for any XML, XSLT XSL-FO work?

                                  My emacs / lisp development and tweaking skill set is stretched just by
                                  maintaining a fairly minimal .emacs file. Even so, nxml-mode has made
                                  editing docbook very accessible and productive for me.

                                  Speaking maybe on behalf of other low-end but appreciative users of
                                  nxml-mode, I hope those of you who have some standing in these communities
                                  are able to help maintain the usability of nxml as emacs is developed and
                                  changes.

                                  The information I have gleaned from 'lurking' on this list has been
                                  extremely valuable.

                                  --paul