Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] Re: Editing RSS 1.0 (RDF) with nxml : how to get auto completion working ?

  • Olivier Berger
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 2005
      Le jeudi 22 septembre 2005 à 00:45 +0200, drkm a écrit :
      > Olivier Berger writes:
      >
      > > Should I use a specific schema instead of "rdfxml.rnc", which would
      > > somehow mix RDF syntax and RSS specifics ?
      >
      > There is no RSS schema in the nXML distribution. I don't know
      > if nXML can use multiple schemas at the same time, via multiple
      > namespace prefixes (I think it can't).

      Thanks.

      That's also the conclusion I've reached although I didn't try and check
      in the code.

      I found some relax-ng schema for RSS which seem to fit somehow, although
      incomplete. See my relation at :
      http://www-inf.int-evry.fr/~olberger/weblog/2005/09/20/composing-rss-in-emacs-with-nxml/

      Comments welcome, of course ;)

      Best regards,
      --
      Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger@...>
      Ingénieur Recherche - Dept INF
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2005
        / Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@...> was heard to say:
        |> There is no RSS schema in the nXML distribution. I don't know
        |> if nXML can use multiple schemas at the same time, via multiple
        |> namespace prefixes (I think it can't).
        |
        | That's also the conclusion I've reached although I didn't try and check
        | in the code.

        If you write a grammar with multiple namespaces, it'll work just fine.
        And it's easy to import grammars so if you want RSS+x+y+z it shouldn't
        be too hard to construct a grammar for that.

        Be seeing you,
        norm

        --
        Norman Walsh <normyahoo@...> | Simplicity is always a
        http://nwalsh.com/ | virtue.--Edward Abbey
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 22, 2005
          Le jeudi 22 septembre 2005 à 15:56 +0100, Norman Walsh a écrit :
          > / Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@...> was heard to say:
          > |> There is no RSS schema in the nXML distribution. I don't know
          > |> if nXML can use multiple schemas at the same time, via multiple
          > |> namespace prefixes (I think it can't).
          > |
          > | That's also the conclusion I've reached although I didn't try and check
          > | in the code.
          >
          > If you write a grammar with multiple namespaces, it'll work just fine.
          > And it's easy to import grammars so if you want RSS+x+y+z it shouldn't
          > be too hard to construct a grammar for that.

          Of course it would not be such a hassle to add what's missing from the
          grammar.

          But it would be so great to have some way (like trang) to automatically
          derive some rng format schema file from the rdfs parsing.... or I'm
          saying something stupid ?

          Best regards,
          --
          Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger@...>
          Ingénieur Recherche - Dept INF
          INT Evry (http://www.int-evry.fr)
          OpenPGP-Id: 1024D/6B829EEC
        • drkm
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 23, 2005
            Norman Walsh writes:

            Hi

            > If you write a grammar with multiple namespaces, it'll work just fine.
            > And it's easy to import grammars so if you want RSS+x+y+z it shouldn't
            > be too hard to construct a grammar for that.

            So if I want to use X+Y+Z, I have to write a specific grammar
            explicitly importing all these three sub-grammars, is it right?
            And I'll have to do this for each combination of grammars, right?
            If it is, it could be nice to have a mechanism to say "for the
            namespace X, use the file X.rnc, etc."

            Because you say nXML can already use multiple namespaces in the
            same grammar, it could be easy to nXML to build itself the
            resulting grammar by combining multiple sub-grammars, isn't it?

            --drkm
          • Norman Walsh
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 27, 2005
              / drkm <darkman_spam@...> was heard to say:
              |> If you write a grammar with multiple namespaces, it'll work just fine.
              |> And it's easy to import grammars so if you want RSS+x+y+z it shouldn't
              |> be too hard to construct a grammar for that.
              |
              | So if I want to use X+Y+Z, I have to write a specific grammar
              | explicitly importing all these three sub-grammars, is it right?
              | And I'll have to do this for each combination of grammars, right?
              | If it is, it could be nice to have a mechanism to say "for the
              | namespace X, use the file X.rnc, etc."

              There are folks actively looking into this problem. I expect NVDL will
              be the way to go (see dsdl.org), but I don't have any processors that
              understand it yet.

              | Because you say nXML can already use multiple namespaces in the
              | same grammar, it could be easy to nXML to build itself the
              | resulting grammar by combining multiple sub-grammars, isn't it?

              I think you still have to put the hooks into one grammar where you
              want the other to plug in. But really, if you have reason to do a lot
              of this, it probably makes more sense to invest in building some
              support for NVDL into your tools.

              Be seeing you,
              norm

              --