2167Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] C-Return no longer working in

  • Carsten Bormann
    Sep 8, 2013
      On Sep 8, 2013, at 18:15, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@...> wrote:

      > M-tab works to 'tab' between Windows on MS Window and Linux?
      >
      > I guess it doesn't on Mac?

      It depends on where you put your meta key.
      True Emacs lovers have that on CMD, and in OSX CMD-TAB switches applications in a way that is somewhat similar to the MS-Windows window switcher. So I have to type M-TAB as ESC, TAB.
      (Other Mac users use the ALT key as Meta, e.g. in the default configuration of Aquamacs, and those won't have a problem typing M-TAB. But then they can't type any 3rd or 4th level keys — for the troglodytes that still live in an ASCII world, that may be fine, however.)

      > From the original nxml-mode readme
      >
      > "The traditional GNU Emacs key combination for completion in a buffer
      > is M-TAB. However, many window systems and window managers use this
      > key combination themselves (typically for switching between windows)
      > and do not pass it to applications. It's hard to find key combinations
      > in GNU Emacs that are both easy to type and not taken by something
      > else. C-RET (i.e. pressing the Enter or Return key, while the Ctrl key
      > is held down) is available. It won't be available on a traditional
      > terminal (because it is indistinguishable from Return), but it will
      > work with a window system. Therefore we adopt the following solution
      > by default: use C-RET when there's a window system and M-TAB when
      > there's not. In the following, I will assume that a window system is
      > being used and will therefore refer to C-RET."

      Sounds very reasonable to me; that's why I now have those lines in my .emacs.
      I haven't gone to the trouble finding the checkin that removed the C-RET binding, which is why I only could speculate about the reason.

      Grüße, Carsten
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic