      For reference on original discussion refer to:

      https://github.com/TreeRex/rnc-mode
      http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/RELAX_NG

      On 2012-12-20, James Clark wrote:

      > On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Tom Emerson wrote:
      >> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM, James Clark wrote:
      >>
      >>> Have you tried contacting the original author? It was David Rosenborg,
      >>> who is still listed at:
      >>
      >> Yes, but as of yet I have not received a response.

      > Thanks for taking this on.
      >
      > I suggest you send a bug report to the FSF list suggesting that they patch
      > the manual to point to your github repository.

      How about submitting sources to

      http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/elpa/

      In this case package become available in

      http://elpa.gnu.org/

      Or ever to Emacs distro?

      Why this to do? Because of nxml-mode it is important for Emacs to have
      rnc-mode. Personally I write some own .rnc files and read a lot of SVG/XHTML
      etc .rnc files in Emacs.

      Also this is very stable package (as remarked in original discussion) so
      additional maintenance is not required and this is big argument for inclusion
      to Emacs or GNU elpa.

      And I don't know how long Tom will be interested in maintaining rnc-mode. With
      Emacs developers community this mode will be more living then with single
      maintainer... Any further maintenance can be done with bug submission for
      anyone.

      That my suggestion. And I know that pushing mode to Emacs is hard work.
      It may require David Rosenborg permission or something similar...

      I use original rnc-mode.el (from home page) without modifications in Emacs
      23/24 for long time (but use only basic features - indentation and
      highlighting)... It have such header:

      ;; A major mode for editing RELAX NG Compact syntax.
      ;; Version: 1.0b3
      ;; Date: 2002-12-05

      ;; Copyright (c) 2002, Pantor Engineering AB
      ;; All rights reserved.

      So I surprised that it didn't work for Tom.

      I checkout Tom's git sources and found only 2 difference in:

      (defun rnc-make-regexp-choice (operands)

      and

      (defun rnc-electric-brace (arg)

      which use non-existing functions in Emacs 23/24.

      So seems that I have in some way broken code highlighting. And I avoid to use
      'electric' features in all modes...

      But my Emacs don't produce errors in *Message* buffer for my use cases.

      --
      Best regards!
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic