2122Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] nXML and embedded code in templates

    Sep 21, 2012
      On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@...> wrote:

      > Hi all!
      >
      > Like some, I'd like to be able to use nxml-mode for editing ERB
      > templates. Or EJS and JSP, they use similar syntax.
      >
      > sgml-mode in Emacs already tries to recognize this type of tags, and
      > here's a few years old patch for xmltok.el that does something similar:
      >

      > https://github.com/purcell/emacs.d/commit/a77629d6a3130d710386e0553a1cbb640797c7e3
      >
      > What do you think of the goal? Should nXML be useful for these types of
      > files? Does the patch take the right approach?
      >
      > --Dmitry

      I like the goal, but unfortunately you can not reach it currently. I
      have tried this in nXhtml if you are interested.

      The problem is that nXML parses the buffer using primitives that you
      can not restrict to a part of the buffer. I have suggested that the
      primitives in Emacs should be changed to make such a restriction
      possible, but that is a very difficult job on very low level in Emacs.
      (You have to know quite a bit about how buffers are stored and handled
      etc.)
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic