- Oct 3 10:11 AM-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
FWIW, I hacked a bit more at my Emacs code for dealing with Unicode:
* Added a function to insert characters by Unicode name. Don't
remember the ISO entity name for "triple prime"? No worries, hit
C-t u type "trip<tab>pr<tab><enter>" and in it goes.
* Added a similar function for ISO entity names.
* Added a glyph list. Inserting literal Unicode characters is
great, if they display properly. If not, I'd rather see the
numeric character reference.
* If the character occurs in an XML name, then I need the real
character even if I can't see it. For those cases, each of the
functions takes a prefix arg. In other words, C-u C-t u.
* Adapted sgml-input so that it's sensitive to the glyph list. My
new xml-input watches what you type and automatically replaces
ISO entity names with appropriate characters.
In other words, typing é automatically inserts an "e"
while typing ‴ inserts ‴ because I don't have a
glyph for it in my emacs setup.
* The ISO entity names are all table driven; you can use any
mneumonics you like.
* I added code to construct a real Emacs pull-down menu (in
addition to or instead of the pop-up menu) for any special
characters that you'd like to access that way.
See http://nwalsh.com/emacs/xmlchars/ and/or
I have the following in my .emacs file:
;;; XML Characters
;; Two #'s because I've got # bound to quoted-insert
(defvar unicode-charref-format "#x%x;")
(setq unicode-character-list-file "/home/ndw/emacs/unichars.el")
(defun bind-nxml-mode-keys ()
(define-key nxml-mode-map "\"" 'unicode-smart-double-quote)
(define-key nxml-mode-map "\'" 'unicode-smart-single-quote)
(define-key nxml-mode-map [menu-bar unichar]
(cons "UniChar" unicode-character-menu-map))
(add-hook 'nxml-mode-hook 'rng-validate-mode)
(add-hook 'nxml-mode-hook 'bind-nxml-mode-keys)
(define-key ctl-t-map "c" 'unicode-character-menu-insert)
(define-key ctl-t-map "e" 'unicode-character-shortcut-insert)
(define-key ctl-t-map "u" 'unicode-character-insert)
(define-key ctl-t-map "i" 'iso8879-character-insert)
;;; End of XML Characters
Be seeing you,
Norman Walsh <normyahoo@...> | The Future is something which
http://nwalsh.com/ | everyone reaches at the rate of
| sixty minutes an hour, whatever
| he does, whoever he is.--C. S.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.8 <http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/>
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>