205Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] Character entities

  • James Clark
    Oct 1, 2003
      Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

      > I quite like the idea of seeing ߠ[X] where X is the
      > actual character if available. but how do you tell if it will
      > be available, and not just be a white box?

      As far as I know, Emacs doesn't provide a way to tell, so nxml mode
      would have to guess. Based on the window-system, you can make a
      reasonable guess at a minimum set of Unicode characters that should be
      displayable. The user could customize this to augment with particular
      Unicode blocks. If the guess is occasionally wrong, it's not a big problem.

      >>>by the way, are there emacs commands to switch from character entities
      >>>to UTF-8 and vice-versa?
      >>
      >>Nope. This is not entirely trivial since character references/entities
      >>aren't recognized in all contexts.
      >
      > ah, I had not considered that. this is attribute and element names?

      And comments and processing instructions.

      James
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic