Re: make error with elvis-2.2 on Mandrake 10.1

  • olarauer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2005
      Hi again!

      > Try again with
      > ./configure --verbose --with-x --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include
      --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib linux
      > and make sure that the X11 development files are installed.

      Unfortunately this did not work on Mandrake 10.1, and I could not
      figure out what parts of X i did not have. But when I compiled elvis
      on another machine running fedora core 3 (fc3)it worked without any
      arguments, just ./configre --with-x linux! But I prefer the console
      version and that compiled fine on a later installation of fedora core
      4 (fc4).

      I still run Mandrake on this dual boot machine and the above did not
      work, so I tinkered with the console version of elvis instead, since
      I like that one more. Now Mandrake 10.1 could not compile that due to
      that it could not find lcurses. Urpmi updates did not help. Via a
      Debian page
      (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/editors/elvis-console) i reconned
      that that I had to point libs to libncurses. On my Mandrake machine
      that is libncurses.so.5.4 (found via 'locate libncurses'). The
      following line compiled elvis without errors (though it could not find
      where to put the man pages).

      ./configure --verbose --without-x --libs='/lib/libncurses.so.5.4' linux

      Now I have elvis in a console like I want it and can finally do
      without vim. Thanks for your advice and hope this can help someone else.

      /Ola