Re: make error with elvis-2.2 on Mandrake 10.1

  • Georg Neis
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2005
      Hallo!

      * olarauer <olarauer@...> wrote:
      > I have used elvis on Windows for almost 2 years now. I have just
      > installed and updated Mandrake Linux 10.1 on another partition with
      > KDE. I can not get elvis to compile correctly.
      [...]
      > ------------------
      > [ola@borgcube1 elvis-2.2_0]$ ./configure --verbose --with-x linux
      > --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/bin/ ..x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib

      Try again with
      ./configure --verbose --with-x --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib linux
      and make sure that the X11 development files are installed.

      Gruß, Georg
      --
      Diskordier schwimmen nicht gegen den Strom, sie klettern aus dem Fluss.
    • olarauer
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2005
        Hi again!

        > Try again with
        > ./configure --verbose --with-x --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include
        --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib linux
        > and make sure that the X11 development files are installed.

        Unfortunately this did not work on Mandrake 10.1, and I could not
        figure out what parts of X i did not have. But when I compiled elvis
        on another machine running fedora core 3 (fc3)it worked without any
        arguments, just ./configre --with-x linux! But I prefer the console
        version and that compiled fine on a later installation of fedora core
        4 (fc4).

        I still run Mandrake on this dual boot machine and the above did not
        work, so I tinkered with the console version of elvis instead, since
        I like that one more. Now Mandrake 10.1 could not compile that due to
        that it could not find lcurses. Urpmi updates did not help. Via a
        Debian page
        (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/editors/elvis-console) i reconned
        that that I had to point libs to libncurses. On my Mandrake machine
        that is libncurses.so.5.4 (found via 'locate libncurses'). The
        following line compiled elvis without errors (though it could not find
        where to put the man pages).

        ./configure --verbose --without-x --libs='/lib/libncurses.so.5.4' linux

        Now I have elvis in a console like I want it and can finally do
        without vim. Thanks for your advice and hope this can help someone else.

        /Ola