make error with elvis-2.2 on Mandrake 10.1

  • olarauer
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2005
      Hi!

      I have used elvis on Windows for almost 2 years now. I have just
      installed and updated Mandrake Linux 10.1 on another partition with
      KDE. I can not get elvis to compile correctly.

      I have to add pointers to get configure to find X correctly
      (./configure --verbose --with-x linux
      --x-includes=/uur/X11R6/bin/ ..x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib).

      When I run make, gcc can not find osdef.h (which is in
      elvis-2.2/osunix/). When I copy it to /elvis-2.2, it can not find
      elvis.h from osblock.c (where osblock.c is in elvis-2.2/osunix/ and
      elvis.h is in /elvis-2.2).

      What to do? It seems like I miss a link/parameter, though I can not
      find any other parameters to set configure to in the INSTALL file?
      See writeout below.

      (I got 3 error messages from osdef.h and about a zillion from
      osblock.c, which is where I decided something was fishy)

      Thanks in advance,

      Ola

      ------------------
      [ola@borgcube1 elvis-2.2_0]$ ./configure --verbose --with-x linux
      --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/bin/ ..x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib
      Looking for some compiler files...
      Internet headers found
      Skipping GNOME due to a temporary configuration bug. (For more
      information,
      see the comment at the top of the 'configure' script)
      X11 headers not found - maybe need '--x-includes=...' argument?
      X11 libraries not found - maybe need '--x-libraries=...'
      argument?
      GCC found
      Disabling the use of background images since -lXpm wasn't found
      Xft not found
      Assuming HTTP should be supported because Internet headers were
      found
      Assuming FTP should be supported because Internet headers were found
      This system has no <sys/ptem.h> file so I assume elvis doesn't need
      it
      This system has no <termcap.h> file so I assume elvis doesn't need
      it
      This system has a <sys/wait.h> file so I assume elvis needs it
      This system has a <sys/select.h> file so I assume elvis needs it
      This system has a <sys/ioctl.h> file so I assume elvis needs it
      This system has a <netinet/in.h> file so I assume elvis needs it
      This system has a <sys/socket.h> file so I assume elvis needs it
      Does this system support setpgid()?
      This system has a <sys/socket.h> file so I assume elvis needs it
      Does this system support setpgid()?
      Assuming yes, because it is declared in <unistd.h>
      Does this system support freopen()?
      Assuming yes, because it is declared in <stdio.h>
      Does this system support inet_aton()?
      Assuming yes, because it is declared in <arpa/inet.h>
      Does this system require -lresolv to use inet_aton()?
      Assuming no, because I couldn't find libresolv.a
      Does this system support memmove()?
      Assuming yes, because it is declared in <string.h> or <strings.h>
      Choosing a type of ioctl() calls, since no --ioctl=... argument was
      given
      Assuming --ioctl=termios because <termios.h> exists
      Assuming lpout="!lp -s" because /usr/bin/lp exists
      Assuming GCC should be used because it exists and
      the ..x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib-specific
      tweaks didn't indicate that the standard CC is better.
      System: ..x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib
      Compiler: gcc -O2
      Bin dir: /usr/bin
      Data dir: /usr/share/elvis/
      Doc dir: /usr/share/elvis/doc/
      Data dir: /usr/share/elvis/
      Doc dir: /usr/share/elvis/doc/
      ::: I CAN'T AUTOMATICALLY INSTALL/REMOVE THE MAN PAGES ON THIS
      SYSTEM
      ::: BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO PUT THEM! You can either
      ::: try editing the "instman.sh" script & rerunning it, or
      ::: simply install/remove them yourself by hand.
      Man dir:
      dirname: too few arguments
      Try `dirname --help' for more information.
      dirname: too few arguments
      Try `dirname --help' for more information.
      [ola@borgcube1 elvis-2.2_0]$ make
      gcc -O2 -I -Iosunix -c -o main.o main.c
      In file included from main.c:5:
      elvis.h:11:19: osdef.h: No such file or directory
      main.c: In function `buildargs':
      main.c:660: error: `OSFILENAMERULES' undeclared (first use in this
      function)
      main.c:660: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
      main.c:660: error: for each function it appears in.)
      make: *** [main.o] Error 1

      So here we go again after copying osdef to /elvis-2.2... and run
      configure again

      [ola@borgcube1 elvis-2.2_0]$ make
      gcc -O2 -I -I. -Iosunix -c osunix/osblock.c
      In file included from osunix/osblock.c:11:
      osunix/elvis.h:9:20: config.h: No such file or directory
      osunix/elvis.h:10:21: version.h: No such file or directory
      osunix/elvis.h:91:22: elvctype.h: No such file or directory
      osunix/elvis.h:140:18: safe.h: No such file or directory
      osunix/elvis.h:141:21: options.h: No such file or directory
      osunix/elvis.h:142:21: optglob.h: No such file or directory
      osunix/elvis.h:143:21: session.h: No such file or directory
      osunix/elvis.h:144:20: lowbuf.h: No such file or directory
      osunix/elvis.h:145:21: message.h: No such file or directory
      ... and it continues for another 3 pages
    • Georg Neis
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2005
        Hallo!

        * olarauer <olarauer@...> wrote:
        > I have used elvis on Windows for almost 2 years now. I have just
        > installed and updated Mandrake Linux 10.1 on another partition with
        > KDE. I can not get elvis to compile correctly.
        [...]
        > ------------------
        > [ola@borgcube1 elvis-2.2_0]$ ./configure --verbose --with-x linux
        > --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/bin/ ..x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib

        Try again with
        ./configure --verbose --with-x --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib linux
        and make sure that the X11 development files are installed.

        Gruß, Georg
        --
        Diskordier schwimmen nicht gegen den Strom, sie klettern aus dem Fluss.
      • olarauer
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 20, 2005
          Hi again!

          > Try again with
          > ./configure --verbose --with-x --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include
          --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib linux
          > and make sure that the X11 development files are installed.

          Unfortunately this did not work on Mandrake 10.1, and I could not
          figure out what parts of X i did not have. But when I compiled elvis
          on another machine running fedora core 3 (fc3)it worked without any
          arguments, just ./configre --with-x linux! But I prefer the console
          version and that compiled fine on a later installation of fedora core
          4 (fc4).

          I still run Mandrake on this dual boot machine and the above did not
          work, so I tinkered with the console version of elvis instead, since
          I like that one more. Now Mandrake 10.1 could not compile that due to
          that it could not find lcurses. Urpmi updates did not help. Via a
          Debian page
          (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/editors/elvis-console) i reconned
          that that I had to point libs to libncurses. On my Mandrake machine
          that is libncurses.so.5.4 (found via 'locate libncurses'). The
          following line compiled elvis without errors (though it could not find
          where to put the man pages).

          ./configure --verbose --without-x --libs='/lib/libncurses.so.5.4' linux

          Now I have elvis in a console like I want it and can finally do
          without vim. Thanks for your advice and hope this can help someone else.

          /Ola