empty lines in elvis.arf => trouble with :sp

  • Georg Neis
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2004
      Hallo,

      when I insert an empty line in the elvis.arf file (for instance above
      the first or below the last line), :sp will behave strange:
      When opening a file ("elvis foo") and executing ":sp bar" both the new
      and the old window display the new buffer (bar).

      This doesn't happen when I insert an empty line in elvis.ini instead
      of elvis.arf.

      On a Debian system where Elvis almost-2.2.1 is installed from source,
      the problem does not occur when I add the empty line to the global
      elvis.arf file (/usr/local/share/elvis/elvis.arf), but only when I add
      it to a customised elvis.arf (e.g. by using ":customize elvis.arf").

      On a Debian system where Debian's Elvis 2.2.0 package is installed,
      the problem also occurs when I change the global elvis.arf file (here
      /etc/elvis/elvis.arf).

      Very confusing...

      Gruß, Georg
      --
      Calling elvis
      Is anybody home
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2004
        > On a Debian system where Elvis almost-2.2.1 is installed from source,
        > the problem does not occur when I add the empty line to the global
        > elvis.arf file (/usr/local/share/elvis/elvis.arf), but only when I add
        > it to a customised elvis.arf (e.g. by using ":customize elvis.arf").

        Sorry, that was nonsense.

        Georg
      • Steve Kirkendall
        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2004
          Georg Neis <georg@...> wrote on Monday, May 10, 2004:
          > > On a Debian system where Elvis almost-2.2.1 is installed from source,
          > > the problem does not occur when I add the empty line to the global
          > > elvis.arf file (/usr/local/share/elvis/elvis.arf), but only when I add
          > > it to a customised elvis.arf (e.g. by using ":customize elvis.arf").
          >
          > Sorry, that was nonsense.

          Not entirely. I've some something similar on rare occasions. I haven't
          been able to spot any pattern to it though. It seems to occur with some
          automatically-executed commands -- more often with autoexec commands,
          but maybe also with elvis.arf.

          --
          Steve Kirkendall |A:It is confusing, since people don't read that way
          kirkenda@... |Q:Why is top-posting bad?
          |A:It is adding comments to the top of a message
          |Q:What is top-posting?
        • Georg Neis
          Message 4 of 4 , May 11, 2004
            Hallo Steve!

            * Steve Kirkendall <skirkendall@...> wrote:
            > Georg Neis <georg@...> wrote on Monday, May 10, 2004:
            > > > On a Debian system where Elvis almost-2.2.1 is installed from source,
            > > > the problem does not occur when I add the empty line to the global
            > > > elvis.arf file (/usr/local/share/elvis/elvis.arf), but only when I add
            > > > it to a customised elvis.arf (e.g. by using ":customize elvis.arf").
            > >
            > > Sorry, that was nonsense.
            >
            > Not entirely. I've some something similar on rare occasions. I haven't
            > been able to spot any pattern to it though. It seems to occur with some
            > automatically-executed commands -- more often with autoexec commands,
            > but maybe also with elvis.arf.

            "Sorry, that was nonsense" only refered to the quoted paragraph,
            i.e. the problem really exists but it doesn't matter whether the empty
            line is in /usr/local/share/elvis/elvis.arf or in ~/.elvis/elvis.arf
            (of course /usr/.../elvis.arf isn't read when the latter exists).

            Gruß, Georg
            btw: what's on your still-TODO list for 2.2.1 currently?