Tomlinson Avenue Updates

  • David Streever
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      I heard from a DOT researcher on Friday about the current status of the
      Tomlinson Bridge--

      * canned and corresponded for any ongoing or proposed
      transportation research into this issue;
      * Conducted investigations into additional materials and methods
      that may be used, as well as similar crossings and issues in the state;
      * Opened discussions with ConnDOT Traffic Engineering personnel as
      to additional alternatives based on our research to date;
      * Opened discussions with Providence and Worcester Railroad, who is
      responsible for the railroad and maintenace issues at this crossing
      location;
      * Scheduled rail and road friction-testing to understand more about
      the bicycle tire/railhead interaction (For more informattion on
      friction-testing please see the streaming media presentation @
      http://www.dotdata.ct.gov/media/mainpsa.aspx?url=mms://conndot-video.ct.gov/mediapoint/research_projects/frictiontesting.wmv?sami=http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents/dconndot/079.smi&name=About%20ConnDOT's%20Friction%20Testing%20Program%20
      );
      * Scheduled special photologging with geometric data collection for
      all four lanes of Forbes Ave. in the area of the crossing to better
      understand the crossing roadway / rail geometry (for more information on
      photologging please see the streaming media presentation @
      http://www.dotdata.ct.gov/media/mainpsa.aspx?url=mms://conndot-video.ct.gov/mediapoint/research_projects/about_photolog.wmv?sami=http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents/dconndot/74.smi&name=About%20ConnDOT's%20Photolog%20Program)
      ; and
      * Field-tested the crossing with ConnDOT personnel riding both road
      and mountain bikes (they even included a photo!).

      Also, we plan to undertake development of an online survey of bicyclists
      who use the crossing, in order to create a formal data collection effort
      about the particular incidents at this location. This may take a little
      longer since our personnel support is greatly diminished between the
      recent retirements and summer vacations.

      --

      WOW! Great news. Seems like they are taking this very seriously.

      I'll continue my conversations with them & update the group as
      information is received. Thanks all.
      --
      David Streever
      203/843.1866
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2009
        Nice work Streever. We should be sure to thank DOT and let them know
        we appreciate all their work on this.

        --
        Sent from my mobile device

        Thomas Harned