Re: [Elm City Cycling] new england bike maps

  • Tuhus-Dubrow
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
      hello all,
          my son dan and i were the only ones (apparently) who turned out for the critical mass bike ride last friday. or did the ride leave from somewhere besides the corner of elm and church?

      melinda tuhus

      Elaine -   Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my bike map request. I just returned from a ride to Portland, Maine from Montreal, Quebec.  It was a wonderful trip, despite the 110 mile ride on Thursday through the Green Mountains complete with COLD, HEAVY RAIN!!!  I was interested in the bike maps in the event that we had to leave the ride and head home on our own, but as it turned out, all went well.Thanks again!Dante----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 7:48 AM
      Subject: Re: [Elm City Cycling] new england bike maps
       Rubel Bike Maps are excellent for Massachusetts. Do a google search to see if they'll sell them over the web. If not, you can phone the Globe Corner Bookstore in Boston and get the Rubel Maps mailed to you. That's what I usually do. There are three maps: Eastern Massachusetts (Boston to Quabbin Reservoir), Western Massachusetts, and Cape Cod & the islands. These maps have great icons for every homemade icecream store, bike-friendly B&B, etc. that you'll pass. Eventually, Rubel will make a CT bike map and I will be happy.

      For CT, you can order a free bike map from the DOT. It doesn't show hills, it's not as clear as it might be, but it's not bad. Go to the CT DOT website, click general info, then bike & pedestrian info. Or just send email to their bike & pedestrian guy: david.balzer@...

      Closer to New Haven, the Yale cycling team offers some free maps on their website: www.yale.edu/cycling, for 20-100 mile loops around here.

      I don't know about VT and New Hampshire and Maine bike maps, but the Adventure Cycling Association probably offers routes through some of those states: check their website. The Adventure Cycling maps follow a single route, offering fewer options, but they're clear & fine.

      Finally, there are free internet maps for various bits of most states at www.freewheelingpress.com/maps.html

      Enjoy your trip. Even if you can't find all the maps you need, there's something to be said for simply stopping at hamburger stands and asking local folks for directions.

      Elaine

      At 10:18 AM 8/24/02 -0400, you wrote:

      Hi -
         If anyone knows where I can pick up bike maps for New England(Barnes and Noble? or some other stores?)  please let me know.  I know it's last minute, but I need to know today.   Thanks!!
      Dante

    • Dante Rosselli

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
          I'm sorry august's critical mass was so small. I was out of town, and I know many others were too, but I thought there'd be more people.

          I think it's time to have a meeting of Elm City Cyclists, to coordinate critical mass publicity, organize signature-gathering on John Halle's Green Streets New Haven petition (we've got more than 150 signatures, but John estimates it will take 500 signatures to sway the mayor), and most of all to create a vision for how we want to make a more bike-friendly New Haven.

          John's petition calls for "specific recommendations for minor but important alterations in transportation infrastructure which will make the streets more bicycle and pedestrian friendly" -- but nothing is specified. What do we want? More bike racks downtown, safe signed bike routes to certain destinations, a bike lane down Whitney or other wide roads, share-the-road signs, two-way bike-lanes on some broad one-way streets, free bike-lights for low-income cyclists, subsidized bike racks for landlords & businesses, a bike-rack-circle on every parking meter, simply smoother pavements, a bike-route across the new Q-bridge...? This email list is good for suggestions, but face-to-face conversation is a better way to come to consensus about what we want to push for and how we want to get it.

          So let's meet at Koffee? on Audubon Court at 6:30 pm, Monday, September 16th.  If that meeting time doesn't work for you, and you still want to help plan traffic-calming, or publicize critical mass, or distribute petitions, then you can email me (elaine.lewinnek@...) or the whole list.

          Dante Rosselli wrote:

          > Elaine - Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my bike
          > map request. I just returned from a ride to Portland, Maine from
          > Montreal, Quebec. It was a wonderful trip, despite the 110 mile ride
          > on Thursday through the Green Mountains complete with COLD, HEAVY
          > RAIN!!! I was interested in the bike maps in the event that we had to
          > leave the ride and head home on our own, but as it turned out, all
          > went well.Thanks again!Dante----- Original Message -----

          [Image]

          [Image]