Re: [Elm City Cycling] new haven advocate story part 2

  • Timothy Nottoli
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22 10:33 AM
      Hello all,

      Always interesting to see how things get edited. Here was my original
      first paragraph:

      I appreciated Paul Bass' "Road Hogs" Hit & Run piece. The incidents come
      as no surprise to those of us who bicycle frequently in and around this
      city, which I have for the last dozen years. In this city, where a red
      light is just a suggestion, and a turn signal seems to be disdained as
      offering too much information to the enemy, it feels like a battlezone out
      there; a battle for self-preservation, and a battle for the right to
      choose a mode of transportation. I think the crux of the problem appears
      right at the end of his article: "I still don't know," she says, "what the
      rules are."

      I thought it was kind of important to convey that riders feel that we're
      under siege, but maybe I was too critical? Considering what the roads are
      like, I felt like I was holding back a hell of a lot.

      Anyway, if some sort if info were to go out in tax bills, that might be a
      start. Maybe if the DMV actually tested people in order for them to get a
      license, it would help a lot...

      Tim