Fwd: MoveOn's "Geek Organizer" Online Job Fair

  • grace.pritchard@yale.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2004
      I suspect we have some Geek Organizers among our ranks -- or people
      who need one!

      Grace :)

      ----- Forwarded message from "Wes Boyd, MoveOn.org" <moveon-
      help@...> -----
      Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:47:56 -0800
      From: "Wes Boyd, MoveOn.org" <moveon-help@...>
      Subject: MoveOn's "Geek Organizer" Online Job Fair
      To: Grace Pritchard Burson <grace.burson@...>

      Dear MoveOn member,

      Are you an organization that's working to use technology the way
      MoveOn does, to help people connect and mobilize? Are you having
      trouble finding the right people to make it happen?

      Are you one of those people who could fill this need?

      Today is your opportunity to make the connection.

      Within our team, we've identified a crucial role we call
      (affectionately) the Geek Organizer. No, that's not an organizer of
      geeks. It's a person who combines the leadership and communication
      skills of a political organizer with the technical skills of a
      computer nerd. How rare are these people? We don't know. But we know
      they exist, because we've built our organization around them.

      At MoveOn.org, we need these people, right now. And we know that among
      our contacts are many progressive organizations that have a similar
      immediate need. We're betting that among our membership we have the
      talent we're looking for. So we'd like to invite you to join us in an
      experiment: A two-week campaign to identify Geek Organizers and match
      them to opportunities in the community. It's a virtual job fair.

      Week 1: Postings. For the coming week, we're inviting organizations
      and individuals to step up and identify themselves.

      Organizations: Geek Organizers Wanted. Organizations describe
      their opportunities by filling out a simple form. They'll post a job
      description and a synopsis of what their organization's about. No
      cost, no obligation. To post an opportunity for a Geek Organizer type,
      click here:

      http://www.moveon.org/gojf/post_opportunity.html

      Individuals: Take the Geek Organizer self-test. If you have what
      it takes to be a Geek Organizer, why not raise your hand? (We'll
      respect the confidentiality of your job search by holding your contact
      information securely. No resumes at this stage - just a personal
      statement to show off your writing skills.) To take the Geek Organizer
      self-test and join the job fair, click here:

      http://www.moveon.org/gojf/post_personal_profile.html

      We'll be taking sign-ups through Wednesday, March 3.

      Week 2: Introductions. We'll match talent to opportunities and
      facilitate anonymous contact through our web site. If you posted an
      opportunity or a personal profile, expect mail from us next week with
      a list of matches.

      We are just making introductions here, *not* pre-screening candidates.
      But we know there's a lot of talent out there, and we hope we can put
      some of it to work where it's needed most.

      We do ask you to let us know <mailto:jobfair@...> if you hire
      anybody through this program. It'll encourage us to do it again.

      What makes a Geek Organizer?

      * Leadership instincts. They know the levers to pull and the right
      time to do it. They know when 10 Letters to the Editor will turn the
      tide and when 1000 phone calls to a senator won't. It's political
      jujitsu.
      * Technology savvy. HTML, mass e-mail, and databases are the tools
      of the trade.
      * Communications skills. None of the above is useful if you can't
      craft a message that moves people to action.

      In our experience, this potential is often underutilized. Some are
      programmers by day and bloggers by night. Others work for a nonprofit,
      then get their technology release by running a family website. But
      when they can apply both halves of their brains to the same job, they
      can do extraordinary things.

      Spread the word.

      If you know somebody who ought to be a Geek Organizer, or know an
      organization that needs one, forward this mail or invite them to the
      job fair through our web site:

      http://www.moveon.org/gojf/spreadtheword.html

      Obviously, the more the merrier.

      Sincerely,

      - Wes Boyd, Joan Blades, and Jack Eastman
      MoveOn.org Geek Organizers.

      ----- End forwarded message -----