Re: [Elm City Cycling] One Exit rule in effect

  • dave bonan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2008
      i used to live in nw jersey in the boonies. but a few thanksgivings ago i decided to bike from ct to eastern nj for my relatives gathering. i contacted njdot and they granted me a one-day temporary permit to ride and use the expressways like route 3 near the meadowlands. they sent me in the mail a list of some of the car highways that allow bicycle travel, surprising to say the least.

      i rode on them and it was horrible. waiting to merge for like 10 minutes.

      but here's a problem which i emailed conndot about.

      if you are leaving cromwell on route 9 en route to middletown (back in january i biked on a nice day from harshford to saybrook),  you can't go straight through. 9 goes from a secondary road near a garbage dump to highway with no local roads paralleling it. if you get on the shoulder you can see the portland truss bridge ahead, some .9 miles. if you don't question things and play by the rules, you have to go back up 9, then 372 west to 3 south to middletown center, a detour of about 5 miles which is completely absurd.

      i said fuck it and rode the mile of route 9 and took the first exit into town.

      dave