plan of action

  • John Halle
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002
      Friends,

      Thanks so much for coming out yesterday for our Friday Ride. It was
      lots of fun as always. Hope to see you again on June 27th!

      Thanks also for signing the petition. I am attaching a ms. file so
      that you can circulate one of your own. If you could get a few
      signatures and get it back to me some time within the next week or
      ten days, it will be very useful in demonstrating that there is a
      constituency for bicycling in New Haven.

      As I mentioned, there are two specific legislative items which I hope
      that we as a group can help to advance which will make our lives as
      cyclists marginally easier here in New Haven.

      The first is an amendment which I am proposing to an appropriations
      ordinance which will come to the floor on Monday. The ordinance
      allows for the city to apply to the state for financing for a garage
      which will go in the block bounded by Orange, Elm, Wall and Church
      Sts. My amendment requires 1) that market rates be charged for
      parking at the garage and 2) that all proceeds made by the garage go
      into an "alternative transportation fund" one of which will be to
      finance necessary changes in the traffic infrastructure to make
      cycling more safe.

      If you could call your Alderperson (a listing is at
      http://www.cityofnewhaven.com/govt/gov2.htm) and let them know about
      this amendment and that you support it, you will make it much more
      likely that it will pass when it comes to the floor on Monday.

      The second item is a more comprehensive "Green Streets New Haven"
      initiative which I am working on with the city. This has been under
      discussion for some time in the group. The basic idea is to come up
      with a plan which the city could implement which would address some
      of the major obstacles and deterrents to cycling in the city. Among
      these are one way streets which greatly increase the distance which
      we have to ride, traffic intersections which require traffic lights
      for us to navigate them safely, streets which are too narrow and
      require, in selected locations, removal of parking and replacement by
      bike lanes.

      I would like to discuss this more in subsequent email exchanges. I
      mention it now so that when you circulate your petition for the Green
      Streets initiative, you know what you are endorsing.

      We can definitely make a difference if we work to together on this stuff.

      I'd be glad to discuss any of this further on the list.

      Let us know what you're thinking.

      Finally, sorry to those who have been put on this list in error.

      Let me know and I will remove you forthwith.

      Best Regards,
      --
      John Halle
      Green Party Alderman

      http://www.ctgreens.org/newhaven/halle/index.html

      Assistant Professor of Music
      Yale University

      CSMT: 203-432-4164, 432-2531
      Dept of Music: 203-432-2985
      Home: 203-785-9258
    • Andrew Junker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2002
        looks great. Thank you.

        At 07:51 PM 6/1/02 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]
        >of the major obstacles and deterrents to cycling in the city. Among
        >these are one way streets which greatly increase the distance which
        >we have to ride, traffic intersections which require traffic lights
        >for us to navigate them safely, streets which are too narrow and
        >require, in selected locations, removal of parking and replacement by
        >bike lanes.
        >
        >I would like to discuss this more in subsequent email exchanges. I
        >mention it now so that when you circulate your petition for the Green
        >Streets initiative, you know what you are endorsing.
        >
        >We can definitely make a difference if we work to together on this stuff.
        >
        >I'd be glad to discuss any of this further on the list.
        >
        >Let us know what you're thinking.
        >
        >Finally, sorry to those who have been put on this list in error.
        >
        >Let me know and I will remove you forthwith.

        Andrew Junker
        Director of Teaching Programs and Exchanges
        Yale-China Association
        Box 208223
        New Haven, CT 06520-8223 USA
        (203) 432-2295