educating cops

  • Elaine Lewinnek
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
      Last year, one of our police-liason guys said that we could do a
      5-minute presentation to cops at morning lign-up, educating them on
      laws pertaining to bikes. I think all we had to do was talk to the
      chief, choose a date, xerox some of the CT Dept of Transportation's
      "share-the-road" fliers, and plan this out. We never followed through
      on it. But clearly there's a need. Does any one want to follow through
      on this now?
    • corinna.anderson@yale.edu
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
        We did try to follow up on that at subsequent go-alition meetings, and when it
        came down to it the cops changed their minds - they said they just want to get
        the essentials at the line-up, a time to get the daily assigments and get out
        to fight crime (they always bring up the "domestics" that we're keeping them
        from responsing to with our petty bike-rights whining), and pretty much said
        they were taking back the offer. They did say something about a
        presentation at
        their yearly conference, that we'd have to plan way in advance, and it didn't
        seem like there was much interest from either them or the cyclist
        participants.
        Does anyone who was at that meeting remember the details better?

        On the other hand, things like flyers are hard to turn down, what the cops
        really didn't want to give was their line-up time. So there migth still be a
        way to pursue it. There's been some progress in the last 6 months or so
        independent of this, but it's sloooow and it really seems to be the same
        questions over and over for some of these issues (how many of us have asked
        about getting bike questions on the drivers' exam?) -- now it sounds like the
        Mayors' night is a better way to get access and get heard, but there must be
        more ideas out there...

        Quoting Elaine Lewinnek <elewinnek@...>:

        > Last year, one of our police-liason guys said that we could do a
        > 5-minute presentation to cops at morning lign-up, educating them on
        > laws pertaining to bikes. I think all we had to do was talk to the
        > chief, choose a date, xerox some of the CT Dept of Transportation's
        > "share-the-road" fliers, and plan this out. We never followed through
        > on it. But clearly there's a need. Does any one want to follow through
        > on this now?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rob Rocke
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
          i'll be part of it if some others want to help?

          Quoting Elaine Lewinnek <elewinnek@...>:

          > Last year, one of our police-liason guys said that we could do a
          > 5-minute presentation to cops at morning lign-up, educating them on
          > laws pertaining to bikes. I think all we had to do was talk to the
          > chief, choose a date, xerox some of the CT Dept of Transportation's
          > "share-the-road" fliers, and plan this out. We never followed through
          > on it. But clearly there's a need. Does any one want to follow
          > through
          > on this now?

          > Tax havens[1] Sport nutrition[2] Cycling sock[3]
          > Cycling shorts[4] Cycling accessory[5] Cycling tour[6]

          > Service[9].

          > [3]
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cycling+sock&w1=Tax+havens&w2=Sport+nutrition&w3=Cycling+sock&w4=Cycling+shorts&w5=Cycling+accessory&w6=Cycling+tour&c=6&s=116&.sig=l25TPWI3fIYqFnONtssS8Q
          > [4]
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cycling+shorts&w1=Tax+havens&w2=Sport+nutrition&w3=Cycling+sock&w4=Cycling+shorts&w5=Cycling+accessory&w6=Cycling+tour&c=6&s=116&.sig=sEJU9N_PsIwPM_R_38GKTw
          > [5]
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cycling+accessory&w1=Tax+havens&w2=Sport+nutrition&w3=Cycling+sock&w4=Cycling+shorts&w5=Cycling+accessory&w6=Cycling+tour&c=6&s=116&.sig=jgFM5CZ_5hCLHkQLUt251g
          > [6]
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cycling+tour&w1=Tax+havens&w2=Sport+nutrition&w3=Cycling+sock&w4=Cycling+shorts&w5=Cycling+accessory&w6=Cycling+tour&c=6&s=116&.sig=ed3ItpoiLB_wOQ4J29-shw
          > [9] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Rob Rocke
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
            well, since it sounds like a bunch of us are going to go to mayor's night in this coming tuesday
            to back up streever and his case, maybe we should just take the initiative and bring with us a big stack of those nice "share the road"
            pamphlets and request that the mayor has chief ortiz pass them around his police department?

            do we have a bunch of them and/or can we get a bunch made by tuesday??

            matthew or joel, do you know where they come from???

            just a thought,
            -=RR=-

          • David Streever
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
              I just got off the phone with Annie Rourke, a reporter at Channel 8. She'll
              be calling me back about the incident with the officer down on Chapel
              street.

              I think that this incident, as unfortunate as it is, really highlights all
              of our points, and gives us a lot of credibility with the mayor. Attention!
              It is dangerous out there!

              I'll send out a reminder on Sunday that I am attending the mayor's night in
              Tuesday. I think there are about 5 of us. I called Lenny (THANKS ROB ROCKE)
              & am prepared.

              Peace y'all--

              --
              davidstreever.com
              dls@...

              We did try to follow up on that at subsequent go-alition meetings, and when
              it came down to it the cops changed their minds - they said they just want
              to get the essentials at the line-up, a time to get the daily assigments and
              get out to fight crime (they always bring up the "domestics" that we're
              keeping them from responsing to with our petty bike-rights whining), and
              pretty much said they were taking back the offer. They did say something
              about a presentation at their yearly conference, that we'd have to plan way
              in advance, and it didn't seem like there was much interest from either them
              or the cyclist participants.
              Does anyone who was at that meeting remember the details better?

              On the other hand, things like flyers are hard to turn down, what the cops
              really didn't want to give was their line-up time. So there migth still be a
              way to pursue it. There's been some progress in the last 6 months or so
              independent of this, but it's sloooow and it really seems to be the same
              questions over and over for some of these issues (how many of us have asked
              about getting bike questions on the drivers' exam?) -- now it sounds like
              the Mayors' night is a better way to get access and get heard, but there
              must be more ideas out there...

              Quoting Elaine Lewinnek <elewinnek@...>:

              > Last year, one of our police-liason guys said that we could do a
              > 5-minute presentation to cops at morning lign-up, educating them on
              > laws pertaining to bikes. I think all we had to do was talk to the
              > chief, choose a date, xerox some of the CT Dept of Transportation's
              > "share-the-road" fliers, and plan this out. We never followed through
              > on it. But clearly there's a need. Does any one want to follow through
              > on this now?
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Home
              is just a click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/9XCylB/TM
            • Bruce Crowder

                We did try to follow up on that at subsequent go-alition meetings, and when
                it came down to it the cops changed their minds - they said they just want
                to get the essentials at the line-up, a time to get the daily assigments and
                get out to fight crime (they always bring up the "domestics" that we're
                keeping them from responsing to with our petty bike-rights whining), and
                pretty much said they were taking back the offer. They did say something
                about a presentation at their yearly conference, that we'd have to plan way
                in advance, and it didn't seem like there was much interest from either them
                or the cyclist participants.
                Does anyone who was at that meeting remember the details better?

                On the other hand, things like flyers are hard to turn down, what the cops
                really didn't want to give was their line-up time. So there migth still be a
                way to pursue it. There's been some progress in the last 6 months or so
                independent of this, but it's sloooow and it really seems to be the same
                questions over and over for some of these issues (how many of us have asked
                about getting bike questions on the drivers' exam?) -- now it sounds like
                the Mayors' night is a better way to get access and get heard, but there
                must be more ideas out there...

                Quoting Elaine Lewinnek <elewinnek@...>:

                > Last year, one of our police-liason guys said that we could do a
                > 5-minute presentation to cops at morning lign-up, educating them on
                > laws pertaining to bikes. I think all we had to do was talk to the
                > chief, choose a date, xerox some of the CT Dept of Transportation's
                > "share-the-road" fliers, and plan this out. We never followed through
                > on it. But clearly there's a need. Does any one want to follow through
                > on this now?
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Home
                is just a click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now.
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/9XCylB/TM

                Tax havens Sport nutrition Cycling sock
                Cycling shorts Cycling accessory Cycling tour

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                --
                Bruce Crowder
                314 Humphrey St.
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                  Rob, and everyone else,

                  Those safety fliers come from ConnDOT. You can order them from their
                  website, or drive up to Farmington (near Hartford) to pick them up. Is
                  anyone driving up to Hartford anytime soon? Just email the bike/ped
                  coordinator first, tell him how many you need and for what, and he'll
                  leave some at the front desk for you to pick up.

                  Here's the website to contact ConnDOT on all sorts of bike materials:
                  http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=1380&q=259658

                  Elaine

                  On 6/1/06, Rob Rocke <rob.rocke@...> wrote:

                  > well, since it sounds like a bunch of us are going to go to mayor's night
                  > in this coming tuesday
                  > to back up streever and his case, maybe we should just take the initiative
                  > and bring with us a big stack of those nice "share the road"
                  > pamphlets and request that the mayor has chief ortiz pass them around his
                  > police department?
                  >
                  > do we have a bunch of them and/or can we get a bunch made by tuesday??
                  >
                  > matthew or joel, do you know where they come from???
                  >
                  > just a thought,
                  > -=RR=-

                • Bruce Crowder

                    We did try to follow up on that at subsequent go-alition meetings, and when
                    it came down to it the cops changed their minds - they said they just want
                    to get the essentials at the line-up, a time to get the daily assigments and
                    get out to fight crime (they always bring up the "domestics" that we're
                    keeping them from responsing to with our petty bike-rights whining), and
                    pretty much said they were taking back the offer. They did say something
                    about a presentation at their yearly conference, that we'd have to plan way
                    in advance, and it didn't seem like there was much interest from either them
                    or the cyclist participants.
                    Does anyone who was at that meeting remember the details better?

                    On the other hand, things like flyers are hard to turn down, what the cops
                    really didn't want to give was their line-up time. So there migth still be a
                    way to pursue it. There's been some progress in the last 6 months or so
                    independent of this, but it's sloooow and it really seems to be the same
                    questions over and over for some of these issues (how many of us have asked
                    about getting bike questions on the drivers' exam?) -- now it sounds like
                    the Mayors' night is a better way to get access and get heard, but there
                    must be more ideas out there...

                    Quoting Elaine Lewinnek <elewinnek@...>:

                    > Last year, one of our police-liason guys said that we could do a
                    > 5-minute presentation to cops at morning lign-up, educating them on
                    > laws pertaining to bikes. I think all we had to do was talk to the
                    > chief, choose a date, xerox some of the CT Dept of Transportation's
                    > "share-the-road" fliers, and plan this out. We never followed through
                    > on it. But clearly there's a need. Does any one want to follow through
                    > on this now?
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Home
                    is just a click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now.
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/9XCylB/TM

                    Tax havens Sport nutrition Cycling sock
                    Cycling shorts Cycling accessory Cycling tour

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    --
                    Bruce Crowder
                    314 Humphrey St.
                    New Haven, CT 06511
                    (203) 787-3494
                  • Timothy Nottoli

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                        It is infuriating.  With a couple of idle minutes on my hands, I looked at the Madison Police Department's website and found this:
                        If you are walking, jogging, roller-blading, biking or riding a moped along the length of a road you must stay to the side of the road and must stay in a single file, out of the travel portion of the road, when approached by a motor vehicle. If you do not do this you will be in violation of the law and could be given a citation for improper use of a roadway by a pedestrian, cyclist, etc, (see CT. General Statute #14-300c and d).
                        The problem with their citation of these statutes is that #14-300c concerns the obligation of pedestrians to yield to emergency vehicles, and #14-300d is about the obligation of a motorist to 'exercise due care' to avoid hitting pedestrians or people 'propelling . . . human-powered vehicle[s]."

                        It also seems the meetings of the Board of Police Commissioners are monthly and open to the public.

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        --
                        Bruce Crowder
                        314 Humphrey St.
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                          ahhh...it's almost like elaine is still here in town...

                          sorry i missed your visit,
                          -=RR=-

                        • TheDevilsGear@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                            i'd go to that
                          • Rob Rocke
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                              total deja vu, but didn't this thing with madison and their website come up a year or two ago???

                              At 04:27 PM 6/1/2006, Kurtz,William wrote:
[...]

                              http://www.madisonct.org/Police%20Dept/pdgeninfo.htm

                            • David Streever
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                                Annie Rourke from Channel 8 just called me back to get down my story. She's running it past the content planners now & will be letting me know when/if it'd run and when I'd be interviewed/etc!

                                Register's reporter is calling me tomorrow at 10 to interview me.

                                A boy on a bike was just hit by a motorist outside my office 30 minutes ago! Anyone know who it was? He wasn't seriously injured.

                                Let's go team! This is going to be a crazy week or so...

                                Any other news connexions/outlets you all might have, feel free to pass on to them what's happened. I'm happy to talk to anyone who can help us out in this.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                                    (madison police meeting)
                                    me 2
                                  • Bruce Crowder