lines

  • Elaine Lewinnek
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2003
      For the historic record, Eric Shtottz says that at 4:30 a.m. on Saturday
      morning he was the first one to bicycle the brand-spanking-new Orange
      Street bike lane. I didn't bike it till this morning. It's great!!! WE HAVE
      A BIKE LANE!

      Actually, we have the beginnings of a bike lane. Right now, there's only a
      wide white line that looks like it might be a super-large parking area --
      but the cars are parking up against the curb as usual, so it works. Soon
      there will be painted bike outlines in the road, and share-the-road signs,
      and I hope another line (or little T's?) to show the cars where the parking
      area actually is, so no one could possibly doubt that it's a bike lane.
      Right now it's just a single line on both sides of upper Orange Street,
      around Romeo & Joe's. And it's on a block of Prospect, between Grove &
      Trumbull -- but even that was enough to make me choose to bike on Prospect
      today not once but twice. With that lovely new line, Prospect just looked
      more enticing than my regular Hillhouse route, and it was. The city
      promised us the bike lanes by August, so this is a minor miracle: they're
      ahead of schedule!

      This makes me particularly happy because I'm leaving New Haven in July.
      Chances are I'll be back for at least a few months next fall, but my life
      is turbulent now & my plans keep changing. I'm telling you all this because
      I've been such a loud-mouth on this list that some people mis-took me for a
      leader. This group is a strong collective that doesn't need any one leader
      -- but it may need a new loud-mouth or two or more. Publicizing critical
      mass, being a contact-person for city-hall folk looking for bicyclists,
      writing the occasional press release, making sure someone leads each
      critical mass, trying to follow through on good ideas, & to keep us all
      talking with each other: I am certain that these things will continue,
      partly because I have never been the only one doing these things. But we
      haven't all met face-to-face outside of Critical Mass for a while: do you
      think we need a meeting, to talk about how to continue the momentum? Let me
      know.

      Elaine
      elaine.lewinnek@...
      773-3425
    • elaine.lewinnek@yale.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 25, 2003
        Hi folks,

        Thanks to Matt, Vic, Charlotte, and Melinda for volunteering to help
        talk about Elm City Cycling at Yale's info fairs. But now I have a
        question for you all. Yale's clerical and maintenance staff are
        planning to go on strike starting this Wednesday, August 27th. They're
        asking people to respect their picket line by avoiding entering any
        Yale buildings for all non-essential tasks. As much as I'd like to
        spread the word about Elm City Cycling, it does seem to qualify as
        non-essential (you know, no lab animals will starve to death if we
        don't show up). My inclination is to avoid crossing anyone's picket
        lines and thus to cancel our tables at the info fairs August 29th and
        Sept 5th. Does anyone feel strongly about this and think we should show
        up?

        See you all Friday at critical mass, anyway.

        Elaine
      • Sara Ohly
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 26, 2003
          Is there a way to have a table outside the lines - even on the
          Green or a sidewalk where it won't interfere with either access or
          strikers?
          Or just hand out info, forget the table. Even for limited periods.
          It seems too bad to lose the chance and the volunteers to spread
          the word and reach incoming students. Cycling is mostly off campus and
          spreading the word can affect the city's efforts to make gains on making
          New Haven bicycle-friendly. It would be great if the university were more
          aware of bicycling as well. (i.e. more bike stands.)