A homeless BikeSummer...

  • Zack Beatty
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1 12:42 PM
      Bike peeps,

      As a former New Havener and frequent return visitor,
      I'm putting out a feeler to the Elm City Cycling
      community.

      BikeSummer 2005 was in Los Angeles. Over 150 bicycle
      culture related events happened between June 3 and
      July 4, the majority of which were organized by
      imaginative individuals. We celebrated and promoted
      the bicycle as an efficient, fun, sociable, healthy,
      environmentally friendly way to get around Los
      Angeles. We explored neighborhoods and places beyond.
      We connected with new people and communities.
      Despite some skeptics, who never expected this summer
      festival to spend a year in such a car-dependent city
      as LA, we pulled it off! In the process, we made a
      more bicycle-friendly Los Angeles.

      Bike culture in LA is TRULY happening these days, and
      BikeSummer was a driving force behind this boom.

      As last year's host city, we're responsible for making
      sure that the torch is passed to a new city, ensuring
      that BikeSummer LIVES ON. To that end, no city has
      stepped up to make a solid offer to host! Several
      ideas have been floated, but have yet to coalesce into
      a committment.

      So...drum roll please...

      Is there any interest in hosting BikeSummer 2006 in
      New Haven?

      Zack

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Melinda Tuhus/Robert Dubrow
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1 1:02 PM
        Hi Zack,
        Can you come to the Goalition meeting tomorrow (Thursday) at 5:30
        pm at City Hall to talk about this? It sounds like a great idea! I was
        thinking Car-Free day, which would promote all means of transport other
        than automobiles (esp. single occupancy ones), of course including
        bikes, but we could put your idea on the table for discussion too.

        Melinda

        Zack Beatty wrote:

        >Bike peeps,
        >
        >As a former New Havener and frequent return visitor,
        >I'm putting out a feeler to the Elm City Cycling
        >community.
        >
        >BikeSummer 2005 was in Los Angeles. Over 150 bicycle
        >culture related events happened between June 3 and
        >July 4, the majority of which were organized by
        >imaginative individuals. We celebrated and promoted
        >the bicycle as an efficient, fun, sociable, healthy,
        >environmentally friendly way to get around Los
        >Angeles. We explored neighborhoods and places beyond.
        >We connected with new people and communities.
        >Despite some skeptics, who never expected this summer
        >festival to spend a year in such a car-dependent city
        >as LA, we pulled it off! In the process, we made a
        >more bicycle-friendly Los Angeles.
        >
        >Bike culture in LA is TRULY happening these days, and
        >BikeSummer was a driving force behind this boom.
        >
        >As last year's host city, we're responsible for making
        >sure that the torch is passed to a new city, ensuring
        >that BikeSummer LIVES ON. To that end, no city has
        >stepped up to make a solid offer to host! Several
        >ideas have been floated, but have yet to coalesce into
        >a committment.
        >
        >So...drum roll please...
        >
        >Is there any interest in hosting BikeSummer 2006 in
        >New Haven?
        >
        >Zack

      • Zack Beatty
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1 1:12 PM
          Hi Melinda,

          I would love to make a presenation about this.

          Unfortunately, I still live in LA, and I won't be in
          New Haven until at least a month from now. :(

          Zack

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • TheDevilsGear@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1 1:43 PM
            Hecka ya!!

            I'm in
          • Zack Beatty
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1 2:13 PM
              Here's the website:
              http://www.bikesummer.org

              Most importantly, check out the archived calendar of
              events from last year, to get an idea of what was
              done:
              http://www.bikesummer.org/2005/calendar/calendar.php

              Also, here's the history of this travelling festival:
              http://www.bikesummer.org/2005/history/history.php

              Since 1999, it's been:
              San Francisco -> Chicago -> Vancouver -> Portland ->
              New York -> Seattle -> Los Angeles -> New Haven??

              Zack

              --- Melinda Tuhus/Robert Dubrow
              <tuhus.dubrow@...> wrote:

              ---------------------------------
              oh, well, you can do it after you get to town. in
              the meantime, can youemail me any more info or send me
              to a website?
              thanks,
              m,

              Zack Beatty wrote:

              Hi Melinda,I would love to make a presenation about
              this.Unfortunately, I still live in LA, and I won't be
              inNew Haven until at least a month from now.
              :(Zack--- Melinda Tuhus/Robert
              Dubrow<tuhus.dubrow@...> wrote:

[...]

              Haven?Zack__________________________________________________Do
              You Yahoo!?Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best
              spam

              protection around

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Sarah Perkin
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4 1:10 PM
                THIS EVENT CLEARLY NEEDS TO BE HOSTED BY NEW HAVEN at
                some point. After all, Pierre Lallement did decide to
                make his historic romp around the New Haven green
                before taking out the first patent on our beloved
                machine!

                I would be glad to do a star gazing ride and a firefly
                or "lightning bugs" fun ride. Also, I know just the
                possy who would do a good job organizing a Bicycle
                bitchen-type gathering (just for the girls, especially
                Castro's sister).

                There are already numerous activities planned for this
                summer, so why not use this opportunity to make the
                most of what we have in terms of biking spirit in New
                Haven? Unless, people already have too much on. I
                assume that this may be the reason why the usual
                suspects have been keeping quite on this one.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • zackbeatty
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 7 11:52 AM
                  _BUMP_

                  Yes, if not this year, then next.

                  So does anyone else want to chime in? Is there enough interest here?
                  Several of you have shown excitement, but is that enough? This
                  festival is dependent upon cyclists volunteering to create, plan, and
                  host their own events.

                  One question that has come up, on my end: is the New Haven cycling
                  community least active in the summer, when much of Yale is out of session?

                  We need to pick a host city soon. Shall I continue to mention New
                  Haven as a serious contender?

                  In any case, thanks for considering this!

                  Zack
                  http://www.SantaMonicaCriticalMass.org

                  --- In elmcitycycling@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Perkin <tsetsesrule@...>
                  wrote:

                  > THIS EVENT CLEARLY NEEDS TO BE HOSTED BY NEW HAVEN at
                  > some point. After all, Pierre Lallement did decide to
                  > make his historic romp around the New Haven green
                  > before taking out the first patent on our beloved
                  > machine!
                  >
                  > I would be glad to do a star gazing ride and a firefly
                  > or "lightning bugs" fun ride. Also, I know just the
                  > possy who would do a good job organizing a Bicycle
                  > bitchen-type gathering (just for the girls, especially
                  > Castro's sister).
                  >
                  > There are already numerous activities planned for this
                  > summer, so why not use this opportunity to make the
                  > most of what we have in terms of biking spirit in New
                  > Haven? Unless, people already have too much on. I
                  > assume that this may be the reason why the usual
                  > suspects have been keeping quite on this one.

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • David Streever
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 7 11:59 AM
                    In my opinion, we are MORE active in the summer ;-)

                    It's much nicer to ride when it's nice out! All types of people come out
                    then.

                    wrote:

                    > THIS EVENT CLEARLY NEEDS TO BE HOSTED BY NEW HAVEN at some point.
                    > After all, Pierre Lallement did decide to make his historic romp
                    > around the New Haven green before taking out the first patent on our
                    > beloved machine!
                    >
                    > I would be glad to do a star gazing ride and a firefly or "lightning
                    > bugs" fun ride. Also, I know just the possy who would do a good job
                    > organizing a Bicycle bitchen-type gathering (just for the girls,
                    > especially Castro's sister).
                    >
                    > There are already numerous activities planned for this summer, so why
                    > not use this opportunity to make the most of what we have in terms of
                    > biking spirit in New Haven? Unless, people already have too much on. I
                    > assume that this may be the reason why the usual suspects have been
                    > keeping quite on this one.

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Kurtz,William
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 7 12:03 PM
                      But at the same time, there's a lot of other stuff going on in the summer and a lot of people are already over-extended.  I would be interested in hosting or helping to host an event or two but it seems that someone would have to be willing to organize or coordinate the whole thing.

                      Tax havensSport nutritionCycling sock
                      Cycling shortsCycling accessoryCycling tour
                    • TheDevilsGear@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 7 12:23 PM
                        I'm thinking next year too as well.

                        2007 would rock.

                        we are stretched w/ arts and idea events getting bigger and cwos

                        ?is 2007 good?
                      • Zack Beatty
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 7 1:43 PM
                          I appreciate the honesty.

                          re: 2007
                          There's no guarantee that another city might not make
                          a more convincing bid next year. That won't be
                          decided until this year's BikeSummer has finished.
                          But you'd have a head start on everyone else, which is
                          convincing!

                          If New Haven did get the nod next year, you'd have
                          much more time to plan for it, than you do now.
                          Ideally, you'd want to know no later than this coming
                          December, whether your going to be host for 2007.

                          --- TheDevilsGear@... wrote:

                          > I'm thinking next year too as well.
                          >
                          > 2007 would rock.
                          >
                          > we are stretched w/ arts and idea events getting
                          > bigger and cwos
                          >

                          > ?is 2007 good?

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Rob Rocke
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 7 1:48 PM
                            he said 2007!!!
                          • David Streever
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 7 1:53 PM
                              ROB ROCKE DIDN'T USE A B FOR BANTER

                              ECC DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE!

                              ASSEMBLE!
                            • Rob Rocke
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 7 1:56 PM
                                i thought it was for BARTER!?
                              • David Streever
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 7 2:06 PM

                                  I OFFER

                                  ONE (1) BOTTLE OF WHISKEY
                                  FOR
                                  ONE (1) BOTTLE OF WHISKEY

                                  TERMS & CONDITIONS:
                                  BOTH BARTERERS MUST DRINK AT THE SAME TIME

                                  EVERYONE WINS
                                  EVERYONE LOSES

                                  (i wanna i wanna i wanna RIDE my bicycle! WHY IS CRIT MASS ONCE A MONTH?!)

                                  love&peace!