Re: [Elm City Cycling] If you have to drive...

  • yojimbo_kurosawa
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
      Also, roof racks are well known to lower your gas mileage. I have
      always used trunk or hitch racks.

      Trunk racks are relatively cheap and easy to install, but they can
      scratch your trunk if you are not careful.

      I use a hitch rack on my Honda Accord. There was an after-market
      hitch which was easy to install and the rack I use, Sportworks, is the
      easier to put and take off bikes.

      --- In elmcitycycling@yahoogroups.com, corinna.anderson@y... wrote:

      > Go Honda Civic! Go veggie diesel! Go by bike!
      > I agree. Hybrid SUVs are a sneaky cynical way to pretend, and car
      > companies are
      > avoiding the efficiency they have the technology for.
      > Too bad we don't get the Smart Car http://www.smartcar.com
      > http://www.smart.com
      > http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2002/autobodies/smartcar.html
      >
      > Oh, also under the heading "If you have to drive" - I just remembered
      > TerraPass,
      > the way to buy emissions credits for the pollution from your car - also
      > perfect
      > holiday gifts for SUV-driving relatives. There are way too many of these
      > pollution credits out there, but the more people buy, the fewer are
      left for
      > bigger pollutors... http://www.terrapass.com/
      >
      > ---Here's a CNN article about TerraPass:
      >
      > So long to gas guzzler guilt - Company allows drivers to pay for the
      smog they
      > produce, then reduces it from other sources.
      > June 21, 2005; Posted: 12:16 p.m. EDT (1616 GMT)
      > By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNN/Money staff writer
      >
      > NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - For $160 you can turn a Hummer H2 into a
      zero-emissions
      > vehicle. No tools or mechanical ability are required.
      >
      > That's the promise of a California company called TerraPass. It would
      > cost less,
      > of course, to turn a Chevrolet Cobalt into zero-emissions vehicle.
      That would
      > only be about $40.
      >
      > The idea is the latest implementation in the trading of "pollution
      credits."
      > Those are the market-based innovations, introduced a few years ago,
      > which allow
      > smoke-spewing companies to buy and sell the right to emit certain
      amounts of
      > pollutants into the air.
      >
      > The stickers TerraPass sends its customers do nothing to stop
      pollutants from
      > coming out of a car's tailpipe. Instead, the company offers its
      customers the
      > chance to reduce pollutants from other sources, like power plants, in
      > an amount
      > equivalent to that produced by their car.
      >
      > That way, you can drive your car while having no net effect on the
      amount of
      > pollution in the air, the company says.
      >
      > The company started as a class project at the University of
      Pennsylvania's
      > Wharton School, said Tom Arnold, TerraPass's chief environmental
      officer and
      > sole full-time employee.
      >
      > He also has three students working for the company and a
      three-member advisory
      > board.
      >
      > The company is a for-profit enterprise, but caps its profits at a
      > maximum of 10
      > percent of revenues.
      >
      > Those revenues so far, Arnold says, are "itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny."
      The company
      > started selling TerraPasses in November and had sold about 620 as of
      > last week.
      >
      > If you buy a TerraPass, the money will be used to purchase smog
      allowances on
      > the Chicago Climate Exchange. The Climate Exchange allows polluting
      companies
      > that produce less than a certain amount of airborne pollutants to
      sell credits
      > to other companies that then allow them to go over the limit.
      >
      > The overall limits are reduced over time making it more costly to
      exceed them.
      > Organizations and companies that buy pollution credits reduce the
      overall
      > supply of credits and also make it more costly for companies to
      exceed the
      > limits.
      >
      > TerraPass also invests buyers' money in power-generating wind farms
      and other
      > projects that reduce air pollution.
      >
      > Since car drivers are under no legal compulsion to try to compensate
      for their
      > tailpipe emissions, the TerraPass will only appeal to those who feel
      > some guilt
      > about their driving, and want to do something about it.
      >
      > Not surprisingly, few SUV drivers have been buying them. Most have
      gone to
      > owners of fuel-efficient cars that produce relatively few pollutants.
      >
      > That initially surprised Arnold.
      >
      > "We fully expected to target SUV drivers with SUV guilt," he said.
      "It just