RE: [Elm City Cycling] Fwd: road cycling safety class

  • Kurtz,William
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2005
      You know, I've thought of that a few times.  We should organize a weekly ride--maybe on Saturday mornings--for people who are just getting into road biking and may not be well-equipped or fit enough--yet--to ride on the Sunday ride, for example, but who would get excited about cycling if there was an opportunity for them to learn bike-handling skills, group etiquette, traffic safety and basic maintenance, without leaving them gasping for breath trying to keep up with group of experienced riders.

      We would have to have a willing pool of patient ride leaders who could perhaps take turns organizing some ten-fifteen mile, slow, probably flat (at least at first) rides, something that could be done in an hour or ninety minutes.  We could publicize them on the group and at the area bike shops and at the campuses.

      I'm happy to plan it out if a couple of other people would agree to help lead some rides.  It would be nice if we could start small--perhaps commit to a month's worth of Saturday morning rides with the hope that if enough people emerged with good skills a weekly beginner's group could form and be self-sustaining, like a mini-Lulu's ride.

      Bill

          Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:02:26 -0400
          From: "Michael J. Ludgate" <mjl@...>
      Subject: road cycling safety class
            To: Cornell Outing Club <OUTDOOR-L@...>

      Road Cycling Safety Class --
      Drivers' Ed for bicyclists on Sept. 14 & 15

      Announcing more Ride Now! bike classes, on Wednesday September 14 and
      Thursday September 15, are designed for both experienced and less
      confident adult or late teenage cyclists. Each of these sessions works
      as a stand-alone class or the first of a three session course.

      Please pass the information on if you know of someone else who might be
      interested. Thanks to the Finger Lakes Cycling Club, Mountain Edge
      Outfitters, Ludgate Farms, and Cornell Co-operative Extension for making
      the classes possible. (This is planned as the last round for the 2005
      warm season.) -- Jennifer Dotson

      EVER USE YOUR BIKE TO GET AROUND ITHACA?
      WHAT'S IT LIKE???
      Comfortable?   Bumpy?   Cheap?   Scary?   Fun?   Useful?   Squeezed?

              Do you avoid streets with your bike because you don't like
      dealing with traffic? Maybe you're getting back into cycling and feeling
      a little unsure? This class will give you skills to bike Ithaca's
      streets better RIGHT NOW. Let's face it, even if bike lanes were painted
      all over town next week, your routes wouldn't always be on them. Plus
      you could get a legal benefit from the training. Check out  [ this link
      here
      <http://www.bee.cornell.edu/extension/bicycle/SubPages/CyclingClass.htm> ]

      While we're all waiting for better streets, RIDE NOW! on the ones we've
      already got!

               Come to the Ride Now! workshop to get a feel for some of the
      ways you can improve your skills and confidence on a bike. What does it
      really mean that the rules of the road apply the same to bikers,
      drivers, and people walking? AND WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU'RE CUT OFF?
              We'll share skills and traffic strategies for you to use for
      safer and more fun biking, and discuss some real dangers and
      possibilities of cycling. We'll spend some time in a parking lot
      practicing some fundamental bike maneuvers, then take a short ride on
      local streets to experience ways to better fit into the traffic flow.
              Remember taking driver's education classes and a driving test to
      get the legal privilege to drive a car? Well, if you attend the full
      course (and pass a short test), you'll come away with nationally
      certified training that could help you in court if you end up involved a
      crash despite your bike handling and safety skills.
              Come to a preview session on either Sept. 14 (Weds., 11 am-2 pm)
      or Sept.15 (Thurs., 4-7 pm). Sliding scale fee. Each of these preview
      sessions doubles as the first of three sessions in a full course
      culminating in a certificate. Certified* instructors Susan Powell and
      Lois Chaplin are experienced in teaching bike skills, yet approachable
      with basic questions.

      * League of American Bicyclists Cycling Instructors (the only nationally
      recognized bike education program with certified instructors).

      CONTACT (registration, questions)
      Jennifer Dotson    (273-3540, jennifer@...)
      Lois Chaplin    (255-2498, lec4@...)

      Call or email to register prior to the class session and to get
      location, equipment needs, and other information.

      Please also let me know if you would like me to NOT send you future
      notes about bike classes and similar events (roughly once a month at most).

      for more information.
      Jennifer Dotson                            212 Wood St.
      jennifer@...                    PO Box 6810
      (607) 273-3540                                Ithaca, NY 14851-6810
                                                _o
                                                _\<,_
                                      ~~ --- (_)/ (_)
      -

      --
      Michael J. Ludgate - Ludgate Farms
      1552 Hanshaw Rd., Ithaca, NY 14850

      Support your local independent retailers.

      Don't forget to visit our new website!
      Better yet ... come visit our store! -:)

      ----- End forwarded message -----

    • Alec Satin
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2005
        Hi brie,

        I'd be interested in joining a "mini-Lulu" ride.

        Alec

        Alec Satin, MSW, CCET
        Anxiety Relief through a Mind-Body Approach

        (203) 789-8343
        www.AlecSatin.com

            Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:02:26 -0400
            From: "Michael J. Ludgate" <mjl@...>
              To: Cornell Outing Club <OUTDOOR-L@...>

[...]

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Amy
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2005
          Yes! I think this is a wonderful idea! I think this group is a great forum
          for bicycle awareness and topics - and I have always lamented that I could
          never keep up with the Lulu's ride - too fast and I wouldn't want to
          embarrass myself even though I ride regularly. So if you are counting
          votes - mine is Yes, and of course if I can help out in any way - I would.

          Thanks!

          Amy Hamilton

          === message truncated ===
        • David Streever
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2005

            Me too! I’ll be a demi-lulu……………………….

            Crit Mass—great ideas Corinna, I can’t make it to New York this month but would love to ride around & do the Lynch thing! I do think the New York idea is a great one & wish I could leave work early enough to make it to NY to show support……