GO-alition, tiara-passing, and jamborees

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
      A couple people have been complaining here recently that bike lanes
      just seem to pop up in town, without any planning or consulting.
      Actually, there is planning, and you can contribute your ideas. Just
      come to the GO-alition meeting, July 7, 5:30-6:30 pm, in the City Plan
      department conference room, on the 5th floor of City Hall.

      In addition to bike lanes, the Go-alition meeting will talk about bike
      racks (the mayor's office is working on installing racks around town),
      and probably bike-safety issues. It's a good meeting, a good chance to
      meet with city officials and get a lot done in a brief time.

      PASSING THE TIARA

      ElmCityCycling is an open group where we try to operate by consensus
      without set leaders, but this is also a group that gets more done if a
      few people step forward to help be the central keepers-of-knowledge,
      keeping everyone informed, making sure that projects get followed
      through on. A few years ago, John Halle (who started this group) asked
      me to take more of a lead on this list, and I did. Now that I'm leaving
      town, this opens space for more of the rest of you to take more
      leadership. Here's my constantly-evolving list of stuff that keeps
      ElmCityCycling going:

      - Encouraging graphic designers to create fliers, t-shirts, stickers, &
      whatever else helps communicate our messages to the public

      - Writing a calendar for ElmCityCyclists, to help people keep track of
      what can be a chaotic number of emails.

      - Writing press releases.

      - Communicating with the City of New Haven, mostly by being a steady
      presence at the GO-alition meetings, keeping in touch with the Dept of
      City Planning and the Dept of Parking & Traffic.

      - Communicating with Yale: inviting new Yale students & staff to join
      ElmCityCycling, inviting Yale to give us money for community projects,
      and persuading Yale to do more bike-friendly planning too

      - Coordinating the Arts & Ideas tours, with Matt Feiner. Choosing
      tours, recruiting volunteers, keeping this organized.

      - Planning other events: Bike Jamborees, Bike-to-Work Day, City-Wide
      Open Studios, this list will almost certainly keep growing and
      changing...

      Some of that can be done informally, but lots of that will benefit from
      someone making it their project. Want to make it YOUR project? Let me
      know, or come to the GO-alition meeting, so we can talk afterwards and
      I can pass my files on to you.

      OTHER NEWS - BIKE JAMBOREES

      ElmCityCycling just got a $1900 grant from the New England Grassroots
      Environment Fund, to pass out bike lights and our bike-safety-map to
      New Haven kids! This will make our bike jamborees even better. At these
      jamborees, we'll need volunteers to help do basic tune-ups to kids's
      bikes, and to help teach kids safe-biking skills. The upcoming jamboree
      dates are:

      Saturday, July 9, 10 am till noon, with the Quinnipiac East Management
      Team, at the Ross Woodward School (near where the 12-year-old bicyclist
      recently died).

      Saturday, July 23, 10 am till 2 pm, with LEAP (a great summer program
      for kids) at the Jackie Robinson Middle School, 150 Fournier.

      For July 9, contact jane.coppock@...
      For July 23, contact duanesam4080@...
      For both, you can also contact joel.creswell@...

      See you all soon, on our bikes.

      Elaine
    • David Streever
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
        I just setup a web calendar application (with administration) that we
        could easily use.

        The Calendar has three options:
        1. Anyone can add and modify events.
        2. With a password (the same for everyone) anyone can modify/add events.
        You'd email me (or whoever was in charge) to get access.
        3. Anyone can add events, but the "moderator" would have to approve
        them.

        What does everyone think? Who is in charge of the website? I have a
        calendar for ASP and for PHP, so either way we should be able to use
        one.

        David