Wednesday Afternoon

  • William O'Grady
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2002
      I was walking downtown near the corner of Elm Street and Church this
      afternoon, and noticed a large box moving truck parked in front of New
      Haven Savings Bank. People were walking back and forth from the truck to
      the bank, moving all kinds and sizes of bikes into the lobby of the bank;
      several dozen, at least, that I saw. I asked a teller what the gig was, and
      she said, 'oh, they give those bikes away to kids.'

      Maybe they're the police auction surplus from Sunday. In any case, even
      though I don't like insurance companies, utilities, and corporate banks -
      there can be worse examples of corporate kindness than to give a bike to a
      child who doesn't have one.

      I'm sure it will show up in the paper, soon. Corporate kindness likes to
      announce itself.

      Bill