Re: [Elm City Cycling] canal trail conditions - new haven/southern hamden

  • Nottoli, Timothy
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
      Morrow,

      Thanks for the scouting mission!

      Tim

      From: H Morrow Long <morrow.long@...>
      Date: Friday, March 1, 2013 4:10 PM
      To: Elm City Cycling <elmcitycycling@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: david bonan <bicyclereporter@...>, Michael R Dunlap <michael.r.dunlap@...>
      Subject: Re: [Elm City Cycling] canal trail conditions - new haven/southern hamden

      Reminded my brain to get exercise at lunch today and bicycled north on the trail up to Putnam Place where I had to get off the trail due to snow dumped on the trail behind the lower Dixwell Stop & Shop and other stores.

      I came back to Yale on Dixwell Avenue -- the good news is that the bike lanes on Dixwell in southern Hamden and New Haven were clear of snow/ice and cars.

      Now the report on the trail conditions:

      Clear  Hillhouse Ave to Thompson St.(The Hillhouse Ave bridge is the current southern terminus)
      Passable Thompson St to Bassett St.(ramps on cross streets often were plowed in with snow but you can go around or detour)
      Bad Bassett to GoodrichLots of snow and ice at the Hamden Town Line barrier.
      Semi-Passable Lots of riding over ice and through some snow (though it was melting fast).
      Goodrich to Putnam PlaceThere was a broken power line with the business end lying up in the snow somewhere between the Hamden Town Line and before Hamden Park Drive!!!
      You need to bicycle on Hamden Park Drive parallel to the trail rather than the trail section near Burger King.
      Impassable North of Putnam Stop and Shop and strip mall stores had dumped snow on the trail.

      Morrow

      On Feb 25, 2013, at 9:30 AM, Michael R Dunlap <michael.r.dunlap@...> wrote:

      The canal trail by Treadwell St. in Hamden is not passable either, and won't be for a long time as someone's decided to dump about 6 feet of snow onto the trail just before the bridge underpass.  I don't know if that was the city or the local businesses, but it'll take quite some time for it to melt. :-(

      Michael

      On Feb 24, 2013, at 7:24 PM, david bonan <bicyclereporter@...> wrote:

      i was biking today from my friends place in wolcott to visit friends at Devil's Gear and Fair Haven.

      anyway, there's still tons of snow from waterbury thru cheshire, at least 2 feet.

      the canal trail is plowed and clear from the northern terminus in cheshire to just before Lock 12.
      Lock 12 lot is open but the trail leading to Lock 12 is completely covered with only some cross country ski marks.
      in the commercial district where the trail hits the sidewalk, it's still covered.

      what struck me odd is whitney ave, the main route i like much better than dixwell. the snow is still piled and i saw
      NO SIDEWALK for 5 miles, even thru the main commercial district! shoppers were in the lane!
      until southern Hamden, snow poured over sideawalks, the curb and into 1/3 of the righthand lane, so i had the lane to myself.

      new haven is fine.

      i told this to folks today at Devil's Gear so they'll reiterate to folks.

      happy riding,

      dave

      --
      “When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the future of the human race.” – H.G.Wells

    • David B.Lewis
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
        That huge pile under the Treadwell overpass is in the shade and will be there for a while. You can hop over the low fence and go through the parking lot.

        The trail along the next stretch northbound has big piles of snow, but they've melted enough to use the trail right along the chain-link fence; watch out for hunks of gravel moved from the parking lot.

        The stretch north of Mather to Connolly Parkway is clear.
      • Shelly Altman
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 4, 2013
          I rode the trail south yesterday from the Sherman Ave (Hamden) parking lot to Bassett St (New Haven). It was completely clear and dry from Sherman Ave. to Treadwell. I walked around the Treadwell snow mound and got back on. There is natural snow/ice cover down to Putnam Stop & Shop. Behind the S & S, there are monster piles of snow covering the trail, pushed there from the S&S delivery lot. I called S&S, and they put me in touch with the property owner. I just spoke with him, and he is going to get in touch with the town to see if he can get permission to clear the trail, which he says he needs since it is not his property. Hope this happens soon!

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 4, 2013
            Another thing to add.  Be careful of the traditional hazard on the trail: assholes.  Given Morrow's description, I figured I would ride home Friday on the trail north until about Shelton Ave. and then take the street.  Just south of Division, in the vicinity of the building housing the climbing gym, I came upon a couple of kids and of course slowed down to wait to pass, given that someone was walking toward me in the other lane.  Just as I passed him, the asshole punched me in the face!  I made sure he knew what I thought of him, but kept on riding as I had someplace to go and also no good would come of stopping to get in a fight with a stupid kid.

            Hard to say what to look for, though; the guy was pretty nondescript, wasn't walking like he was a badass, wasn't with a group who you might suspect of trying to knock someone over and steal a bike.  Seemed completely random.

            That said, it seems a couple more days cleared more of the trail.  This morning, there are still giant piles at Treadwell and at Stop and Shop, but from the bridge south there's a bit of ice that makes snow tires helpful and otherwise not too bad.  Beyond the industrial park, it's clear except for the piles at intersections, all of which you can now get around.

            Tim

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 4, 2013
              Wait—he needs to call the town to get permission to clear the snow he put there?  Did he ask for permission to dump the snow there?

              He's not gonna do jack unless the town gets on his case.

              Tim

              From: Shelly Altman <saltman@...>
              Date: Monday, March 4, 2013 10:53 AM
              To: Elm City Cycling <elmcitycycling@yahoogroups.com>

              --- In elmcitycycling@yahoogroups.com, "David B.Lewis" wrote:

              > That huge pile under the Treadwell overpass is in the shade and will be there for a while. You can hop over the low fence and go through the parking lot.
              >
              > The trail along the next stretch northbound has big piles of snow, but they've melted enough to use the trail right along the chain-link fence; watch out for hunks of gravel moved from the parking lot.
              >
              > The stretch north of Mather to Connolly Parkway is clear.

            • Michael R Dunlap
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 4, 2013
                I will be bringing this up at the trail commission meeting tomorrow night.  While I can understand and sympathize with the "where to put the snow" problem, it's unacceptable to dump it on the trail where it adversely impacts users.

                Michael

                From: Shelly Altman <saltman@...>
                Date: Monday, March 4, 2013 10:53 AM
                To: Elm City Cycling <elmcitycycling@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 4, 2013
                  Thanks Michael!

                  Tim

                  From: Shelly Altman <saltman@...>
                  Date: Monday, March 4, 2013 10:53 AM
                  To: Elm City Cycling <elmcitycycling@yahoogroups.com>

                  I rode the trail south yesterday from the Sherman Ave (Hamden) parking lot to Bassett St (New Haven). It was completely clear and dry from Sherman Ave. to Treadwell. I walked around the Treadwell snow mound and got back on. There is natural snow/ice cover down to Putnam Stop & Shop. Behind the S & S, there are monster piles of snow covering the trail, pushed there from the S&S delivery lot. I called S&S, and they put me in touch with the property owner. I just spoke with him, and he is going to get in touch with the town to see if he can get permission to clear the trail, which he says he needs since it is not his property. Hope this happens soon!

                  --- In elmcitycycling@yahoogroups.com, "David B.Lewis" wrote:

                  > That huge pile under the Treadwell overpass is in the shade and will be there for a while. You can hop over the low fence and go through the parking lot.
                  >
                  > The trail along the next stretch northbound has big piles of snow, but they've melted enough to use the trail right along the chain-link fence; watch out for hunks of gravel moved from the parking lot.
                  >
                  > The stretch north of Mather to Connolly Parkway is clear.

                • aaron goode
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 4, 2013
                    New Haven looks quite, Hamden still needs some work.

                    Hamden's Farmington Canal Commission is meeting on Tuesday 3/5 at the Gov't Center on Dixwell, 3rd floor conference room at 7:30pm.

                    If someone is able to attend, it would be interesting to find out more from them about Hamden's snow removal policies and whether they fine businesses who pile snow from their parking lots onto the trail (which is just as bad for cross-country skiers as for everybody else).

                    If anybody wants to organize a work-day to shovel out some of the problem areas, I am game.

                    Aaron Goode
                    New Haven Friends of the Farmington Canal Greenway
                  • Michael R Dunlap