Re: I didn't want to believe it

  • Jane Mills
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012
      Hi Laura, I can imagine you are pretty shaken up. Hope you are OK.

      Why not Elm? Elm is not a bad route. However at night it can have some
      issues around Kensington St to look out for.
      I rode it for two years without a problem, avoiding late night. A
      friend also rode Elm a lot
      and had issues only once with a group of boys, and it was late at night.

      Someone suggested Edgewood and I too have never had an issue on
      Edgewood, which I also rode for a couple years, regularly.

      Chapel sounds too out of your way though that was my route of choice
      at night because it was well lit and had cops around Sherman where the
      hospital is.

      Good luck and take care of yourself.

      --
      Jane Mills
      203-278-3723
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012
        Laura,
        I'm so sorry to hear this but I'm glad you are okay.  Riding at night alone is probably not a good idea although these sorts of things can happen at any hour.
        Happy Thanksgiving
        Ride safe

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Nov 21, 2012, at 8:01 PM, laura burrone <laura_burrone@...> wrote:

        At about 5:10 pm I was heading toward the Wednesday night ride, traveling down Goffe toward the Green, when a young man of about 15 bolted out of the park at County Street and knocked me to the ground and rode off on my bike.  OUCH, my arm hurts as I landed full force on my elbow.  It was a bold move, I was shocked, to say the least.  About 10 minutes later a different teen walked up with my bike and returned it.  I guess the perp didn't want to ride a girl's bike.  (The other teens in the park were teasing the thief, "you're riding a girl's bike, you hit a girl!")

        The police and EMTs responded quickly and they were supportive.  All the stories I've read about biking incidents had me worried, but I felt they responded appropriately.  Bandaged, bruised, and a little shaky, I am home now thanks to a good Samaritan who witnessed the events, called 911, and stayed with me to be sure I was OK.

        So now I have a dilemma.  Most everywhere I go requires that I ride down Goffe.  UGH, I don't want to think about putting my bike in the car just to get to the start of a ride a mile or so from my house.  Nor do I want to take Whalley, or Chapel, or Elm.  I guess I will ruminate on this some more and consider the time of day as a factor.  Please feel free to make suggestions or pose alternate routes.

        Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  And ride safely.

        Laura B.