Re: [Elm City Cycling] I didn't want to believe it

  • Paul Hammer
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 21, 2012
      Laura,

      I am glad you are safe and were not hurt badly.  Since you are not comfortable riding on Whalley Ave. or Chapel St. (safer from the perspective of there being more people around but not particularly bicycle-friendly routes) I would suggest riding with at least one other person whenever possible on or near Goffe Street.  It's sad that it has come to the point where you risk being assaulted while riding alone.  No bright ideas for now but I think we need to keep thinking about solutions.  One of the reasons I'm interested in bicycle recycling is that I think if every young person had a bicycle to call their own they might be less likely to take other people's bikes.

      Happy Thanksgiving to you!

      Best,

      Paul

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012
        Laura, I'm so sorry this happened to you. And so glad that you didn't suffer more serious injuries. I second the suggestion to briefly turn off your headlight when you are passing through an unnerving area. Something else in your first paragraph makes me think that you are going to be just fine, though, traveling your usual route. You're a girl! With all the teasing the perp received about hitting a girl, it makes me hopeful that someone there now has your back. I would feel the same trepidation that you do, but I think you'll be ok! Jan

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012
          This is terrible. I have no answers because i know the problems around youth issues are complex, but something has to be done to stop these young men from interfering in other people's lives.

          Sent from my iPad
        • Jane Mills
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012
            Hi Laura, I can imagine you are pretty shaken up. Hope you are OK.

            Why not Elm? Elm is not a bad route. However at night it can have some
            issues around Kensington St to look out for.
            I rode it for two years without a problem, avoiding late night. A
            friend also rode Elm a lot
            and had issues only once with a group of boys, and it was late at night.

            Someone suggested Edgewood and I too have never had an issue on
            Edgewood, which I also rode for a couple years, regularly.

            Chapel sounds too out of your way though that was my route of choice
            at night because it was well lit and had cops around Sherman where the
            hospital is.

            Good luck and take care of yourself.

            --
            Jane Mills
            203-278-3723
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012
              Laura,
              I'm so sorry to hear this but I'm glad you are okay.  Riding at night alone is probably not a good idea although these sorts of things can happen at any hour.
              Happy Thanksgiving
              Ride safe

              Sent from my iPhone