Re: [Elm City Cycling] motorized mow down in Porto Alegre

  • David Backeberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
      About the only place you're going to see a reasoned article, with comments disabled:

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12604639

      I tried to get the story from Zero Hora in Portugese. No luck.

      On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 12:14 AM, Richard Stowe <bike.rail.politics@...> wrote:

      horrific...this is war...a vicious attack on peaceful assembly...

      Richard Stowe

      Richard Stowe
      Rail*Trains*Ecology*Cycling
      (203) 966-4387
      http://twitter.com/RailTEC
      http://www.railtec.org

    • Mark Abraham
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
        Looking at the slow-motion video and the nature of the injuries that occurred here, I suppose the silver lining to this tragedy is that at least the criminal was driving a relatively low-profile and lower-weight vehicle:

        Many jurisdictions, including Paris, are seriously considering bans, fines or taxes on larger vehicles, due to their increased pollution as well as much greater potential to cause injury in the event of collisions.

        Millions of deaths and injuries per year would be entirely preventable with simple, no-cost, improved vehicle design.  Does anyone know what authority cities and states have to regulate vehicle safety, and/or tax higher-profile vehicles such as SUVs?

        One might recall the December 2001 crash in front of Macy's in Midtown Manhattan, where a large, out-of-control van mowed down and killed 7 pedestrians, and injured at least 8 others.  Herald Square had been the scene of several dozen traffic fatalities in the five years prior to that crash, so it's not as if these types of events were at all unexpected.  Given the completely out of hand levels of speeding and number of crashes at several intersections in Downtown New Haven, similar tragedies are likely to occur here unless our city takes action to correct the problem.

        In addition to improved vehicle design, streets that discourage speeding can also help reduce the incidence of these types of events.  NYC DOT has implemented pedestrian plazas in Herald Square since this event, and speeding has dramatically declined.

        Mark