RE: [Elm City Cycling] stamford advocat/greenwich time

  • Linda Hoza
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2010

      Is this really the proper place for political statements? Probably not but since you started it ----

      That is your view of Mayor Malloy. The truth is that he turned downtown Stamford from an unappealing, dangerous city where many were afraid to walk a block after dark to a vibrant, destination city where one is comfortable walking the streets, even late at night. He was a forward-thinking intelligent, hardworking mayor who supported and fought for all the good bike/ped ideas that were presented to him. His office was always open and he was always accessible. He is the best candidate running for governor and the Hartford Courant agrees with that. The state needs an experienced leader and that is Dan Malloy.

      Linda Hoza

      Linda Hoza

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2010
        While endorsing candidates is something that nonprofits are not allowed to do, I think a healthy debate among individuals about candidates with respect to issues central to an organization's mission and its lobbying efforts is appropriate.

        I think it is good to shed light on the truth and while holding public officials accountable for their failings and misstatements, recognize them for their accomplishments as well.As far as Dan Malloy goes, hearing both of you (Richard and Linda) it appears that his record on transportation is a mixed one.

        Ned Lamont has good positions on transportation, but no record as he has not held public office.  However, he is running on a ticket with Mary Glassman, candidate for Lt. Governor, who as First Selectwoman of Simsbury helped to win her town's designation as Connecticut 's ) first bicycle friendly community by the League of American Bicyclists.

        No matter what the outcome of the election, we must redouble our efforts to see that Connecticut adopts and implements a progressive transportation policy that treats bicyclists and pedestrians as equal citizens.  May the best man and woman win.

        Paul D. Hammer
        - Past President, Connecticut Bicycle Coalition
        - President, Bicycle Education, Entrepreneurship and Enrichment Programs (BEEEP!, Inc.)

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7, 2010
          A friendly reminder that in Connecticut primaries,
          voters are allowed to 'split tickets',
          that is,
          voters may choose to vote for their preferred Gov. candidate separately from their preferred Lt. Gov candidate.

          For example, primary voters may choose to vote for:
          Malloy for Gov.
          and
          Glassman for Lt. Gov.

          despite the fact that the Gov candidates have expressed a preferred running mate ahead of the primary. Should a separate, 'non-ticket' Lt. Gov be selected, the Gov candidate will be running with the winning Lt. Gov candidate rather than their 'ticket' Lt. Gov. candidate.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 7, 2010
            I like the idea of the list serv being a refuge from politicking and politics. I feel inundated by it on virtually every other group I am involved in. While ECC is of course a political group in that we work to get laws passed that are favorable to cyclists, I don't think that the list serv is appropriate for campaign politics.

            Historically, we have even not allowed long-time members to post their platforms/etc on the list serv when they are running.

            That's not to say politics and the list can never meet. I think it's totally appropriate to share a link, for instance, to a candidates bike/transportation platform, free of opinions or endorsements.

            Please note this is not to bash Linda or Richard, both active and hard-working cycling advocates, but instead a statement of support for the notion that we not allow any campaigning/political activity on the list serv, and an endorsement of Linda's view point that this might not be the right place for this type of discussion.

            Ultimately it's the subjective portion that I object to. People have very strong feelings about their favorite candidates, many of which can not be reasonable resolved in a logical fashion, so I don't think these types of conversations can be very productive or inclusive on a list serv.

            Obviously I have no right to control anyone's speech on this list serv (or anywhere else!). This is merely a request and should be taken as such. If it becomes a real problem, I think we can probably have a vote by people on the list serv to determine if politics is acceptable.

            --
            David Streever
            Web Sites, Community, Cycling
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2010
              Political discussions drive me nuts and on a listserve this large with so many different political opinions, it can quickly spiral out of control. That said, I would apply the exact same criteria for posting politically-oriented messages as I would any other:

              1) is it bicycle-related?
              2) is it local to New haven, or at least regional?
              3) is it important/interesting to most people on the list?

              There's always a LITTLE room for banter here if things are slow, but I would hate to get bogged down in a partisan discussion that most people are not interested in hearing.

              My $.02
            • Zack Beatty

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2010

                  Very well said, Bruce.

                  bruce for office, lol.
                • Jim Clark

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 10, 2010

                      Jim,

                      I agree, with a group this large I am sure that there is many different political views. I would like to keep this site free of politics, with everyone here sticking to cycling related topics

                        eddie

                      To: brucecrowder@...
                      CC: elmcitycycling@yahoogroups.com