Which Thomas and Mary?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2011
      One of the problems in Elwood genealogy is the number of parents of the same
      names who lived in the same area at the same time.

      In the second half of the 18th century a lot of children of Thomas and Mary
      Ellwood were baptised in Dufton. The trouble is that there were at least two
      couples - Thomas Elwwod and Mary Westmorland, and Thomas Ellwood and Mary
      Loy.

      Has anyone else found this a problem? How do you sort out the kids and attach
      them to the right parents?

      [Note: I'n sending this to the Ellwood list, but also to a couple of people
      not yet on the Ellwood list who seem to have these people in their families]

    • Genie Zappanti
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2011
        Sorting the kids to the correct parents when they have the same or like names is a challenge.
        Obviously if the mother's maiden name is attached that helps. I think sometimes you can figure
        it out by dates (i.e. if Thomas and Mary have a baby in January they can't have one in June..that
        sort of thing) Using other records like marriage or death records sometimes list parents names
        so you can trace backwards.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2011
          On 25 Jun 2011 at 8:53, Genie Zappanti wrote:

          > Sorting the kids to the correct parents when they have the same or like
          > names is a challenge.
          > Obviously if the mother's maiden name is attached that helps. I think
          > sometimes you can figure
          > it out by dates (i.e. if Thomas and Mary have a baby in January they can't
          > have one in June..that sort of thing) Using other records like marriage or
          > death records sometimes list parents names so you can trace backwards.

          Someone has pointed out that in the case of the families I mentioned, in the
          church registers the abode of the one family is given as Sandriggs, and the
          other as Dufton, so that sorts them out.