Too many, or too few, Thomas Ellwoods - Dufton 1660-1720

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 22, 2011
      We are trying to make sense of a tangled web of Ellwoods in and around
      Dufton, Wetmorland, between 1660 and 1720.

      There were a Thomas and Dorothy who had several children between 1696 and
      1711.

      There were a Thomas and Elizabeth who had an Edmund in about 1716

      Assuming that these Thomases were born in Dufton around 1660-1690, there were
      2 possible candidates:

      Thomas son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Dobson) baptised 1670
      Thomas son of Christopher and Jennat, baptised 1667

      but which was which? there's the question

      Thomas and Elizabeth (Dobson) had a son Thomas baptised in 1667, and who
      apparently died in 1670. They had another son Thomas baptised in 1670.

      One of the things this leads to is a connection between Elwwof and
      Thornber/Thornborrow/Thornborough families.

      Is anyone working on these families who might be able to help us untangle the
      threads?

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 22, 2011
        Hi All,

        I am researching these Ellwoods. I'm on holiday at the moment so will get back with info in early September.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 22, 2011
          On 22 Aug 2011 at 16:22, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

          > I am researching these Ellwoods. I'm on holiday at the moment so will get back
          > with info in early September.

          Thanks Gillian.

          I've also written again to Stan Catterall (who isn't on the list) to ask him
          to check a couple of things for me, since he seems to be descended from the
          Edmund who married Mary Bland.

        • Lorraine Taylor
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 23, 2011
            Hi steve

            I have been looking but don't know how my elizabeth Ellwood Thompson senior would fit into your family tree.

            Kind regards

            Lorraine Taylor

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2011
              Hello All,

              I am back home now & can access my notes.

              Thomas & Dorothy.
              Thomas b1667 was the son of Christopher & Jennat.

              Thomas Elwood-5 (Christopher Elwood-4, Christopher Elwolde-3, Edmund Elwold-2, Edwarde
              Elwald-1). He was born 1667 in Dufton. Baptism on 13 Jun 1667 in Dufton.

              Dorothy.

              Thomas Elwood and Dorothy. They had 6 children.

              i. Jenetta Elwood. She was born 1696 in Dufton. Baptism on 29 Nov 1696 in Dufton [4].
              ii. Anne Elwood. She was born 1698 in Dufton. Baptism on 02 Mar 1698 in Dufton [4]. She died 1701 in Dufton. Burial on 22 Mar 1701 in Dufton [4].
              iii. Bridgitt Elwood. She was born 1703 in Dufton. Baptism on 03 Nov 1703 in Dufton [4].
              iv. Ann Elwood. She was born 1708 in Dufton. Baptism on 17 Oct 1708 in Dufton [4]. She died 1712 in Dufton. Burial on 04 Jun 1712 in Dufton [4].
              v. Dorothy Elwood. She was born 1711 in Dufton. Baptism on 08 Jul 1711 in Dufton [4].
              vi. Henry Elwood. He was born 1711 in Dufton. Burial on 08 Jul 1711 in Dufton [4]. Baptism on 08 Jul 1711 in Dufton [4]. He died 1718 in Dufton.

              Thomas Ellwood & Elizabeth Ellwood .
              Don't know parents of Thomas. Elizabeth was the daughter of Thomas Ellwood & Elizabeth Dobson.

              Thomas b&d 1670 was the son of Thomas & Elizabeth.

              Thomas Elwood-4 (Thomas Elwolde-3, Edmund Elwold-2, Edwarde Elwald-1). He was born 1641
              in Dufton.
              Notes for Thomas Elwood:
              General Notes:
              Paid Hearth Tax Dufton: 1669-1672, 15 March 1674.

              Elizabeth Dobson is the daughter of William Dobson and Elizabeth. She was born 1640 in Dufton. She died 1705 in Dufton.

              Thomas Elwood and Elizabeth Dobson. They were married on 12 Jun 1666 in Dufton. They had 6
              children.

              i. Margaret Elwood. She was born 1668 in Dufton. Baptism on 14 Feb 1668 in Dufton.
              ii. Thomas Elwood. He was born 1670 in Dufton. Baptism on 09 Aug 1670 in Dufton. He died on 20 Aug 1670 in Dufton.
              17. iii. Edmund Elwood. He was born 1667 in Dufton. Baptism on 14 Jul 1667 in Dufton. He married Isabel Cryer. They were married on 08 Jul 1697 in Dufton. He died 1710 in Dufton.
              iv. Mark Elwood. He was born 1683 in Dufton.
              v. Elizabeth Elwood. She was born 1680 in Dufton. Baptism on 30 May 1680 in Dufton.
              vi. Thomas Elwood. He was born 1667 in Dufton. Baptism on 14 Jul 1667 in Dufton [4].

              4 IGI.

              Hope you can follow all that!!!

              Did Stan get back to you? I would be interested to see his reply.

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2011
                On 5 Sep 2011 at 13:24, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

                > I am back home now & can access my notes.

                Thanks very much!

                > Thomas & Dorothy.
                > Thomas b1667 was the son of Christopher & Jennat.
                >
                > Thomas Elwood-5 (Christopher Elwood-4, Christopher Elwolde-3, Edmund Elwold-2,
                > Edwarde Elwald-1). He was born 1667 in Dufton. Baptism on 13 Jun 1667 in
                > Dufton.

                So that would make him part of this family?

                Family Group Report
                For: Christopher Ellwood (ID=15631)
                Date Prepared: 6 Sep 2011

                NAME: ELLWOOD, Christopher, Born ??? 1631, Died Aug 1676 at age
                45; FATHER: ELLWOOD, Christopher, Born ??? 1598, Died Jan 1664
                at age 66; MOTHER: DOBSON, Bridget, Born ??? 1607, Died 27 Dec
                1662 at age 55; BUR:1676 Dufton,Westmorland,England
                Yeoman of Dufton, Westmorland

                MARRIED ??? 1662, to GARGATT, Jane; FATHER: GARGATT, William;
                MOTHER: NATTERAS, Jane

                CHILDREN:
                1. M ELLWOOD, Christopher, born ??? 1664, died ???
                2. M ELLWOOD, Edmund, born ??? 1667, died ??? 1730 in Dufton,
                WES, ENG; Married 1 Jun 1696 to RUDD, Anne; 8 children
                3. F ELLWOOD, Elizabeth, born ??? 1669, died ??? 1743
                4. F ELLWOOD, Mary, born ??? 1672, died ???; Married to
                THORNBOROUGH, George
                5. M ELLWOOD, John, born ??? 1674, died ???

                Would Jane Gargatt and Jennat have been the same person then?

                I'm preparing a set of family group sheets, which I'll upload to the file
                section, but also send separately to you and a couple of others. It shows
                what we have from you and from other sources, and I hope we may be able to
                find answers to some of these questions then.

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 6, 2011
                  Hi Steve,

                  It is true that Thomas b1667 was born to Jennat & not Jane in the PRs. I had him as the son of Christopher & Jane, however, going back to my notes, Christopher does not mention him in his will dated 1676. He mentions sons Edmond & John, daus Elizabeth & Mary (also wife Jane).

                  There is a Christopher (son Richard & Annas) & Jennat from Dufton. In his will dated 1690, proved 1698 he mentions:

                  sons John, Richard, Michael & Thomas,
                  dau Anne

                  It would seem that Thomas b1667 was infact the son of Christopher & Jennet as follows:

                  Christopher Elwood-3 (Rycharde Elwold-2, Edwarde Elwald-1) [2]. He was born 1618 in Dufton.
                  He died 1698 in Dufton [3]. Burial on 28 Mar 1698 in Dufton [4].
                  Notes for Christopher Elwood:
                  General Notes:
                  Will written 26/03/1690 and proved 28/071698. Witnesses: Christopher Furnis, Richard Lowis &
                  Matthew Wilkinson.
                  Living Closehouses Knock 1656
                  Signed Protestation Return 3 May 1641 Dufton.
                  Described as Christopher Elwood senior at burial.

                  Jennatt. She died 1695 in Dufton. Burial on 01 Sep 1695 in Dufton [4].
                  Christopher Elwood and Jennatt. They had 5 children.

                  i. Richard Elwood. He was born in Dufton.
                  ii. John Elwood. He was born 1656 in Long Marton. Baptism on 24 Apr 1656 in
                  Long Marton.
                  iii. Thomas Elwood. He was born 1670 in Dufton. Baptism on 13 Jun 1670 in
                  Dufton [4].
                  iv. Ann Elwood. She was born 1671 in Dufton. Baptism on 24 Mar 1671 in Dufton.
                  v. Michael Elwood. Baptism 1680 in Dufton. He was born 1680 in Dufton.

                  Sorry for the confusion! It gets quite complicated with all the same first names being used all the time!!

                  Did Stan get back to you?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 6, 2011
                    On 6 Sep 2011 at 9:56, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

                    > Sorry for the confusion! It gets quite complicated with all the same first
                    > names being used all the time!!

                    Thanks for clearing up that confusion!

                    > Did Stan get back to you?

                    He got back to me on the Thomas who was born and died in August 1670.

                    I thought it might have been the Thomas born in 1667 who died in 1670, but
                    apparently he didn't, and there is no record of his death, but he would
                    surely have died before the second one was born!

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
                      Hi Steve,

                      Yes we came to the conclusion also that Thomas b1667 would have died before his brother Thomas was baptised 1670 who also died in 1670.

                      We never did work out who the Thomas was who married Elizabeth Elwood b1680 dau of Thomas Elwood & Elizabeth Dobson.

                      There were two few Thomas'!!!

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
                        On 7 Sep 2011 at 8:51, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

                        > Yes we came to the conclusion also that Thomas b1667 would have died before
                        > his brother Thomas was baptised 1670 who also died in 1670.
                        >
                        > We never did work out who the Thomas was who married Elizabeth Elwood b1680
                        > dau of Thomas Elwood & Elizabeth Dobson.

                        Are you certain she was the daughter of Thomas Ellwood and Elizabeth Dobson?

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
                          Hi,

                          Not 100%.

                          She is the "best fit".

                          This has been a subject of long conversation with Stan & other researchers.