Ellwood Champion Clog Dancer

  • jofaulkner74
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 14, 2011
      Hello All

      I'm watching a programme on traditional North Eastern Clog Dancing and there was mention of (and a photo of) Jimmy Ellwood who was a County Durham miner and champion clog dancer in the 1890s. Also found him at this webpage http://www.brendawalker.co.uk/history.html. I just thought I would mention him, he may be related to one of us. My Ellwoods ended up in County Durham and were involved in mining.

      Jo
    • Jo
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 14, 2011
        To amend my former message - it would appear he was dancing later than this, 1930s. His children continued the traditon. http://chrisbrady.itgo.com/clogging/ellwood/jimmy_ellwood.htm

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 14, 2011
          On 14 Aug 2011 at 19:38, jofaulkner74 wrote:

          > I'm watching a programme on traditional North Eastern Clog Dancing and there
          > was mention of (and a photo of) Jimmy Ellwood who was a County Durham miner
          > and champion clog dancer in the 1890s. Also found him at this webpage
          > http://www.brendawalker.co.uk/history.html. I just thought I would mention
          > him, he may be related to one of us. My Ellwoods ended up in County Durham and
          > were involved in mining.

          We have a James Ellwood, son of Samuel Ellwood and Jane Black, who was a coal
          miner in Durham, born in Castle Eden in 1871.

          Who are your Durham Ellwoods? We might come across them in our research.

        • Jo
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 15, 2011
            My Great Grandfather was John Thomas Ellwood 1891 - 1978 born in Butterwick, County Durham, his father was William Ellwood 1870 - 1918, who was born in Lupton, Lancashire but moved over to Aycliffe and surrounding areas of County Durham, he married Isabella Lambert of Lambpit. Williams father was John Ellwood 1835 - 1906, born Arkholme, Lancashire who married Mary Wilcock and died at Aycliffe. We are in the process of checking the details we have of previous generations beyond this as there seems to be a lot of confusion. We had always thought that John was a son of Mark Ellwood and Mary Kipling and that Mark was the son of William Ellwood and Anne Simpson but we are not sure now, other descendants of William (& Anne Simpson) disagree. Unfortunatley I dont have a great deal of time to unravel it all so its a bit of a mystery for the moment.

            > On 14 Aug 2011 at 19:38, jofaulkner74 wrote:
            >
            > > I'm watching a programme on traditional North Eastern Clog Dancing and there
            > > was mention of (and a photo of) Jimmy Ellwood who was a County Durham miner
            > > and champion clog dancer in the 1890s. Also found him at this webpage
            > > http://www.brendawalker.co.uk/history.html. I just thought I would mention
            > > him, he may be related to one of us. My Ellwoods ended up in County Durham and
            > > were involved in mining.
            >
            > We have a James Ellwood, son of Samuel Ellwood and Jane Black, who was a coal
            > miner in Durham, born in Castle Eden in 1871.
            >
            > Who are your Durham Ellwoods? We might come across them in our research.

            > Web: http://hayesstw.tumblr.com/ (follow me on Tumblr)
            > Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
            > Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
            > Fax: 086-548-2525

          • Gillian Mc kenna
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 16, 2011
              Hi Jo,

              We have corresponded before on Rootschat. I am one of the people who have said that your Mark is not descended from William Ellwood & Anne Simpson giving my reasons on Rootschat.

              This is a tree I have sent to me by another Ellwood researcher who is also researching your line. From him I have:

              William Ellwood - Barbara Jackson

              William 1754-1829, bap St Cuthbert Dufton, marr 1783 St Margaret & St James Long Marton, died Scathwaite, buried Kendal

              Son Mark Ellwood - Mary Jackson

              Mark 1793-1868
              Mark born Brampton bap St Margaret & St James Long Marton, marr 1818 Holy Trinity Kendal, died Lupton, bur St Michael Archangel Whillington

              son John Ellwood - Mary Wilcock

              John 1835-1906
              John born Arkholme bap St John Baptist Chapel Arkolme, marr 1864 St Michael Cockerham, died Darlington

              son William Ellwood - Isabella Lambert
              William 1870-1918
              William bap All Saint's Lupton, marr 1890 Darlington Reg office, died Hawthorn nr Easington

              son John Thomas Ellwood - Maria Maud Walker

              John Thomas 1891-1978
              born Sedgefield marr 1911 Auckland, died Bishop Aukland.

              Hope that helps you sort out your Ellwoods,

              --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, "Jo" <jofaulkner74@...> wrote:

              > My Great Grandfather was John Thomas Ellwood 1891 - 1978 born in Butterwick, County Durham, his father was William Ellwood 1870 - 1918, who was born in Lupton, Lancashire but moved over to Aycliffe and surrounding areas of County Durham, he married Isabella Lambert of Lambpit. Williams father was John Ellwood 1835 - 1906, born Arkholme, Lancashire who married Mary Wilcock and died at Aycliffe. We are in the process of checking the details we have of previous generations beyond this as there seems to be a lot of confusion. We had always thought that John was a son of Mark Ellwood and Mary Kipling and that Mark was the son of William Ellwood and Anne Simpson but we are not sure now, other descendants of William (& Anne Simpson) disagree. Unfortunatley I dont have a great deal of time to unravel it all so its a bit of a mystery for the moment.
              >
              > --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@> wrote:
              > >
              > > On 14 Aug 2011 at 19:38, jofaulkner74 wrote:
              > >
              > > > I'm watching a programme on traditional North Eastern Clog Dancing and there
              > > > was mention of (and a photo of) Jimmy Ellwood who was a County Durham miner
              > > > and champion clog dancer in the 1890s. Also found him at this webpage
              > > > http://www.brendawalker.co.uk/history.html. I just thought I would mention
              > > > him, he may be related to one of us. My Ellwoods ended up in County Durham and
              > > > were involved in mining.
              > >
              > > We have a James Ellwood, son of Samuel Ellwood and Jane Black, who was a coal
              > > miner in Durham, born in Castle Eden in 1871.
              > >
              > > Who are your Durham Ellwoods? We might come across them in our research.
              > >

              > > --
              > > Steve Hayes
              > > E-mail: shayes@
              > > Web: http://hayesstw.tumblr.com/ (follow me on Tumblr)
              > > Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
              > > Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
              > > Fax: 086-548-2525

            • Jo
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 16, 2011
                Hi
                Yes I have our correspondence. Thanks ever so much for explaining this line, havent had chance to research it recently, have been hoping to double check everything.
                Jo

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 24, 2011
                  On 15 Aug 2011 at 17:54, Jo wrote:

                  > My Great Grandfather was John Thomas Ellwood 1891 - 1978 born in Butterwick,
                  > County Durham, his father was William Ellwood 1870 - 1918, who was born in
                  > Lupton, Lancashire but moved over to Aycliffe and surrounding areas of County
                  > Durham, he married Isabella Lambert of Lambpit. Williams father was John
                  > Ellwood 1835 - 1906, born Arkholme, Lancashire who married Mary Wilcock and
                  > died at Aycliffe. We are in the process of checking the details we have of
                  > previous generations beyond this as there seems to be a lot of confusion. We
                  > had always thought that John was a son of Mark Ellwood and Mary Kipling and
                  > that Mark was the son of William Ellwood and Anne Simpson but we are not sure
                  > now, other descendants of William (& Anne Simpson) disagree. Unfortunatley I
                  > dont have a great deal of time to unravel it all so its a bit of a mystery for
                  > the moment.

                  John appears to be the son of Mark Ellwood and Mary Jackson.

                  I've just been having a look at that lot, though not John himself yet, but
                  rather his older brothers and sisters. When I've looked more at John I'll
                  post some family group sheets so that you can check them against what you
                  have.

                  Mark who married Mary Jackson was born in Appleby (or Branton) about 1794.

                  He married Mary Jackson on 1 June 1818 in Kendal, and they seem to have had
                  nine children, of whom John was the youngest.

                  The oldest ones were apparently born in Kendal, the middle ones in Stainton,
                  and then the family moved to Alkholme in Lancashire, where the younger ones
                  were born.

                  John, the youngest, moved back to Westmorland (Lupton) and his parents were
                  living with him in the 1861 census, as was his nephew John Nutter Son of
                  John's sister Hannah).

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 24, 2011
                    On 16 Aug 2011 at 7:51, Gillian Mc kenna wrote:

                    > We have corresponded before on Rootschat. I am one of the people who have said
                    > that your Mark is not descended from William Ellwood & Anne Simpson giving my
                    > reasons on Rootschat.
                    >
                    > This is a tree I have sent to me by another Ellwood researcher who is also
                    > researching your line. From him I have:
                    >
                    > William Ellwood - Barbara Jackson
                    >
                    > William 1754-1829, bap St Cuthbert Dufton, marr 1783 St Margaret & St James
                    > Long Marton, died Scathwaite, buried Kendal
                    >
                    > Son Mark Ellwood - Mary Jackson
                    >
                    > Mark 1793-1868
                    > Mark born Brampton bap St Margaret & St James Long Marton, marr 1818 Holy
                    > Trinity Kendal, died Lupton, bur St Michael Archangel Whillington

                    Is there a date for Mark's baptism?

                    I haven't been able to find one on FamilySearch, though of course that is
                    only an index, and some entries in the registers may have been missed.

                  • Genie Zappanti
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 24, 2011
                      Click Me!
                      Have you used the National Burial Index for England and Wales... THIRD EDITION ?
                      I found it online..a cd

                      Genie