Eleanor Ellwood of Whitehaven

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2011
      The other day we came across and online family tree that included an Eleanor
      Ellwood married to a Thomas Jaques or Jacques.

      The tree showed the Eleanor as being the daughter of Robert and Martha
      Ellwood of Whitehaven, Cumberland, who are Val's ggg grandparents.

      On checking, however, it appears that there were three Eleanor Ellwood's (at
      least), and that whoever had compiled the tree had picked the wrong one. The
      daughter of Robert and Martha, born in 1822, appears to have married Richard
      Herring, and had two sons, Mason and Richard, and a daughter Sarah, who died
      young.

      The other two Eleanors we have found were the daughters of William and Ann
      Ellwood, and of John and Eleanor Ellwood (from Cartmel, Lancashire).

      For for the last couple of says I've been trying to reconstitute the
      Whitehaven Ellwood families so that if we find new people in future, we can
      see where they fit in.

      In the course of following up the John and Eleanor family of Cartmell, we
      have found a Thomas and Elizabeth (Betty) Ellwood whose family had been very
      easy to reconstitute, thanks to the Lancashire Online Parish Clerks, who have
      transcribed a lot of church registers of Lancashire and put them online.
      Thomas may have been a brother of the John Ellwood who married Eleanor, but
      we haven't been able to prove that yet.

      When I've got as far as I can with these, I'll upload the GEDCOM file to the
      files section of the forum web site, in case they can help anyone else.