Ellooods in Brough and Kirkby Thore

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2011
      If been following up some Ellwoods who seem to have lived in Kirkby Thore,
      Westmorland.

      There was a John Ellwood, who was born in Brough, and married Frances.

      He was a blacksmith in Kirkby Thore. There were also two Williams who were
      blacksmiths there. One may have been the brother of John; he died young, and
      his widow Barbara was a school mistress. The other William was older, married
      to Mary, and may have been the father of the other two.

      Is anyone here connected to these families?

      These are monuments in the church at Kirkby Thore:

      Ellwood (S.E). Erected in m. Elizabeth Ellwood who died December . 4th, 1822
      aged 71 years.

      Ellwood (S.E). In memory of John Ellwood, blacksmith, of Kirkby Thore who
      died December . 21,1872 aged 69 years. , also Frances his wife who died
      February 5, 1873 aged 77 years. , also Mary their daughter who died January
      17, 1833 aged 4 years. , also Ann their daughter who died December 1st, 1834
      aged 3 years. , also Robert their son who died December . 12th, 1837 aged 25
      weeks.

      Ellwood (S.E). In memory of William Ellwood of Kirkby Thore who died August
      12th 1844 aged 39 years. , also Barbara his wife who died April 16th 1882
      aged 77 years.

    • Gillian Mc kenna
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2011
        Hi All,

        I have no connection to these Ellwoods, however, I have a little info on them.

        William Ellwood born c1777 Brampton, Blacksmith marr Mary Deighton 11/10/1802 Brough under Stainmore.

        Children:

        -William b1803 BUS (probably died as an infant)
        -William 1805-1844 Kirkby Thore (blacksmith) marr Barbara Lakeland 1833 KT, she was born Hilton, d1882 KT
        -John (Blacksmith) b1803 BUS d1872 KT marr Frances Battie
        -Elizabeth b1810 KT.

        I know William senior was born Brampton from the 1851 census. Do you know who his parents were? Another researcher has his parents as William Ellwood & Frances Redbank. William their son was baptised 12/1/1783 Crosby Ravensworth. This Ellwood family lived in Maulds Meaburn at the farms Lankaber & then Lofterus.

        I'll see if I can dig out any more info.