Yet another Thomas Ellwood

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2011
      Thomas certainly seems to have been popular among the Ellwoods!

      And I'm looking for the parents of another one.

      He was born about 1803, some sources say in Brampton (which I understand is
      near Appleby) and others say in Skelsmergh (which I understand is near
      Kendal).

      He married Isabella Dent in Morland in 1827, and they had four children.
      Isabella died in about 1840.

      Thomas then married Elizabeth Graham, the widow of Joseph Graham (maiden name
      Burton), and they had three more children.

      One online tree gives Thomas's parents as William Ellwood and Ann Simpson.
      But Gillian has said that their Thomas (who was a year or two older) married
      An Fawsett. I see a lot of other people have him married to Anne Townsend.

      Looking at what's available on family search I think the most likely parents
      for this Thomas are Edward and Abigail of the Kendal area.

      Is anyone researching this family?

      I got into it because I was looking for a Robert Ellwood, son of Robert
      Ellwood and Martha Saxon, born about 1827. According to some people he
      emigrated to the US, but if he did there doesn't seem to be much record of
      it. But FamilySeach kept throwing up another Robert -- Robert Dent Ellwood,
      son of Thomas and Isabella, born in 1831. So I got side-tracked into
      following him up. His younger brother Richard emigrated to Canada in 1887,
      but seems not to have liked it much, since he returned to Westmorland in
      1891.

      So I hope my sidetrack information is useful to someone!