John Ellwood of Dufton

  • Gillian Mc kenna
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2011
      Hello All,

      I came accross this story about Ellwoods of Dufton from the archives of the Cumberland & Westmorland Herald.

      Enjoy!

      Gillian

      Cumberland & Westmorland Herald

      Saturday, 21 August 2004
      Recent contributions include a fascinating batch of typed manuscripts, dated 1953, all concerning the village of Dufton and, in particular, the Ellwood family who once resided at Dufton Hall.
      The Ellwoods were an old land-owning family who, as far back as 1653, bought a property near the hall, known as Hall Gate, formerly owned by John Langhorn, until he "went beyond the seas".
      One of the articles is based on a diary kept by John Ellwood, who resided at Dufton Hall during the mid-1800s.
      John clearly relished good food in ample quantity, for he recorded having hosted the Rev. John Richardson, headmaster of Appleby Grammar School, and treating him to a most wonderful dinner.
      According to the Ellwood diary for 25th November, 1860, "We had a roast goose and a boiled round of beef and plum pudding and all sorts of fruit for desert. We had bitter bottled beer and draught beer and sherry and port wine to drink at dinner."
      And that was not all, for "after dinner we had sherry, port and sweet wines and brandy, whiskey, rum and gin".
      It is not surprising that Mr. Richardson returned a week later, accompanied by his son and, also, one of the Appleby Grammar School boarders. This time the menu consisted of "roast sirloin of beef, boiled leg of mutton, plum pudding, desert, beer and wines, as before".
      Dinner-time details dominated the diary entries, for on Christmas day John Ellwood and his guests sat down to a roast goose, roast sirloin of beef, plum pudding and "all other requisites".
      The articles, kindly sent by David Foster, Leyburn, North Yorkshire, are clearly the work of the distinguished historian and journalist, C. Roy Hudleston, who was editor of the Penrith Observer in the 1950s and enriched its pages with many articles of local history. He later co-wrote the fine book, Cumberland Families and Heraldry.
    • Genie Zappanti
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 28, 2011
        Click Me!
        Wonderful! Thanks for sharing Gillian!
        Genie

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 28, 2011
          On 28 Jul 2011 at 19:01, Gillian Mc kenna wrote:

          > I came accross this story about Ellwoods of Dufton from the archives of the
          > Cumberland & Westmorland Herald.
          >
          > Enjoy!

          I did -- thanks very much.

          He seems to have anticipated the concern with food that one sees in so many
          blogs and TV programmes nowadays!

        • Gillian Mc kenna
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2011
            Hi All,

            John Ellwood of Dufton Hall, from the diary below, died 18 Sep 1872. His wife Nancy died afterwards 20 Oct 1876. In both cases probate was granted to John William Ellwood, yeoman of Dufton, their son.

            As far as I can tell, there are no longer any Ellwoods living at Dufton Hall (1881 - 1911). I wonder what happenned to them?

            John Ellwood and Nancy (Bell)

            Mary b1825
            Anne b1827
            Betsy b1829