Re: [ellwood] John Ellwood b1807 Bongate

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2011
      On 25 Jul 2011 at 19:46, gillianmckenna wrote:

      > I am new to the Ellwood group. I live in Montpellier, France.

      Welcome! I hope we can help one another with our research, and the more the
      merrier. Having different people look at research problems often makes them
      easier to solve.

      > I am researching Ellwoods from Westmorland. I can trace them back to Edward
      > Elwald from Dufton (see Bruce Morrison's site).
      >
      > My ggg grandfather is John Ellwood b1807 Bongate, son of William Ellwood &
      > Anne Simpson.
      >
      > John married in Kirkby Stephen to Margaret Parker in 1840. According to their
      > marriage cert, they were both previously married. I have found Margaret's 1st
      > marriage but have never been able to find John's 1st marriage.
      >
      > On John's marriage cert of 1840 he was living Smaredale, a farmer.

      I don't think i can help there, though I have been looking at that branch of
      the family (descendants of Mark Ellwood and Anne Loadman) mainly because it
      was interested in what had happened to the Michael's.

      > Here is John's family:
      >
      > John Ellwood- He was born 1807 in Bongate.
      > Baptism on 15 Feb 1807. He died on 02 Jan 1884 in Crosby Ravensworth.
      >
      > Margaret Parker is the daughter of William Parker and Mary Nelson. She was
      > born 1817 in Warcop [7]. Baptism on 02 Dec 1817 in Warcop. She died on 03 Jul
      > 1901.
      >
      > John Ellwood and Margaret Parker. They were married on 16 Dec 1840 in Kirkby
      > Stephen. They had 8 children.
      >
      > i. Mary Anne Ellwood. She was born 1842 in Smardale. Baptism on 14 Aug
      > 1842 in Kirkby Stephen. She died on 24 Jul 1885 in Appleby.

      I have her with a daughter Agnes born 1870.

      > ii. Isabella Ellwood. She was born 1844 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on 19
      > Apr 1844 in Crosby Ravensworth. She died on 06 Jul 1912 in Crosby Ravensworth.

      I have her with a daughter Margaret, born 1868.

      > iii. Elizabeth Ellwood. She was born 1846 in Crosby Ravensworth. She died on
      > 08 Dec 1926 in Crosby Ravensworth.
      >
      > iv. Margaret Ellwood. She was born 1849 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on 13
      > May 1849 in CrosbyRavensworth. She died 1854 in Crosby Ravensworth.
      >
      > v. John Ellwood. He was born 1851 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on 06 Sep
      > 1851 in Crosby Ravensworth. He married Alice Farrer. They were married on 01
      > Jun 1879. He died on 31 Jan 1921 in Warcop.

      I have him with three sons, John, Thomas and William - any more?

      > vi. Thomas Parker Ellwood. He was born 1854 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on
      > 09 Jun 1854 in Crosby Ravensworth.

      I didn't have him - must add him.

      > vii. Michael Ellwood. He was born 1856 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on 12
      > Dec
      > 1856 in Crosby Ravensworth. He died 1918 in Crosby Ravenaworth.
      >
      > viii. William Henry Ellwood. He was born 1861 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism
      > on
      > 09 May 1861 in Crosby Ravensworth. He married Rachel Robertson. They were
      > married 1889.

      I have him with a daughter Margaret. He seems to have disappeared after she
      was born in 1890 though.

      My wife Val's ggg grandfather was Robert Ellwood who married Martha Saxon.

      For a long time they were as far back as we could go, until we discovered the
      link on Bruce Morrison's site.