Descendants of John Tallon and Agnes Ellwood

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2014
      We have been looking at the descendants of John TALLON and Agnes ELLWWOD, who
      were married in Ulverston, Lancs in 1855 and emigrated to the USA.

      Many of their American descendants believe that Agnes was the daughter of
      John ELLWOOD and Mary SHEPHERD of Westmorland, but we believe that she was
      the daughter of John ELLWOOD and Agnes HARRISON.

      The main reason for this is that at the time Agnes TALLON was in America, the
      other Agnes was still unmarried, and is shown in the 1861 as a dairymaid on
      her parents' farm back in Westmorland. The "other" agnes appeArs to have
      married later, and so ought to be fouhnd in the 1871 census of Westmorland,
      unless she too emigrated.

      Name: James Coulthwaite
      Spouse's Name: Agness Ellwood
      Event Date: 18 Apr 1868
      Event Place: Casterton, Westmoreland, England
      Father's Name: John Coulthwaite
      Spouse's Father's Name: John Ellwood
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M04410-2 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS
      Film number: 1471760 IT 12

      Vaol is preparing a comprehensive document on this, with all the evidence,
      and we'll upload it to the Elloowd site when it is ready, for anyone who
      wants to download it.

      The main reason for this "advance notice" is so that anyone interested in
      these particular families, who has evidence to counter this theory, please to
      let us know what the evidence is.

      Blog: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com
      Web: http://www.khanya.org.za/famhist1.htm
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 15, 2014
        On 11 Jul 2014 at 10:19, 'Steve Hayes' hayesstw@telkom wrote:

        > We have been looking at the descendants of John TALLON and Agnes ELLWWOD, who
        > were married in Ulverston, Lancs in 1855 and emigrated to the USA.
        >
        > Many of their American descendants believe that Agnes was the daughter of John
        > ELLWOOD and Mary SHEPHERD of Westmorland, but we believe that she was the
        > daughter of John ELLWOOD and Agnes HARRISON.

        We've written up the story of THREE Agnes Ellwoods born in the 1830s here:

        http://wp.me/pfvXY-kL

        Two of them, first cousins, emigrated to to America, while many of the
        American descendants claim to be descended from the third, unrelated one, who
        stayed at home.