John Ellwood b1807 Bongate

  • gillianmckenna
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2011
      Hi Everyone,

      I am new to the Ellwood group. I live in Montpellier, France.

      I am researching Ellwoods from Westmorland. I can trace them back to Edward Elwald from Dufton (see Bruce Morrison's site).

      My ggg grandfather is John Ellwood b1807 Bongate, son of William Ellwood & Anne Simpson.

      John married in Kirkby Stephen to Margaret Parker in 1840. According to their marriage cert, they were both previously married. I have found Margaret's 1st marriage but have never been able to find John's 1st marriage.

      On John's marriage cert of 1840 he was living Smaredale, a farmer.

      Here is John's family:

      John Ellwood- He was born 1807 in Bongate.
      Baptism on 15 Feb 1807. He died on 02 Jan 1884 in Crosby Ravensworth.

      Margaret Parker is the daughter of William Parker and Mary Nelson. She was born 1817 in
      Warcop [7]. Baptism on 02 Dec 1817 in Warcop. She died on 03 Jul 1901.

      John Ellwood and Margaret Parker. They were married on 16 Dec 1840 in Kirkby Stephen. They had 8 children.

      i. Mary Anne Ellwood. She was born 1842 in Smardale. Baptism on 14 Aug
      1842 in Kirkby Stephen. She died on 24 Jul 1885 in Appleby.

      ii. Isabella Ellwood. She was born 1844 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on 19
      Apr 1844 in Crosby Ravensworth. She died on 06 Jul 1912 in Crosby
      Ravensworth.

      iii. Elizabeth Ellwood. She was born 1846 in Crosby Ravensworth. She died on 08
      Dec 1926 in Crosby Ravensworth.

      iv. Margaret Ellwood. She was born 1849 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on 13
      May 1849 in CrosbyRavensworth. She died 1854 in Crosby Ravensworth.

      v. John Ellwood. He was born 1851 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on 06 Sep
      1851 in Crosby Ravensworth. He married Alice Farrer. They were married on 01
      Jun 1879. He died on 31 Jan 1921 in Warcop.

      vi. Thomas Parker Ellwood. He was born 1854 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on
      09 Jun 1854 in Crosby Ravensworth.

      vii. Michael Ellwood. He was born 1856 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on 12 Dec
      1856 in Crosby Ravensworth. He died 1918 in Crosby Ravenaworth.

      viii. William Henry Ellwood. He was born 1861 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on
      09 May 1861 in Crosby Ravensworth. He married Rachel Robertson. They were
      married 1889.

      Does anyone have any ideas?

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 25, 2011
        On 25 Jul 2011 at 19:46, gillianmckenna wrote:

        > I am new to the Ellwood group. I live in Montpellier, France.

        Welcome! I hope we can help one another with our research, and the more the
        merrier. Having different people look at research problems often makes them
        easier to solve.

        > I am researching Ellwoods from Westmorland. I can trace them back to Edward
        > Elwald from Dufton (see Bruce Morrison's site).
        >
        > My ggg grandfather is John Ellwood b1807 Bongate, son of William Ellwood &
        > Anne Simpson.
        >
        > John married in Kirkby Stephen to Margaret Parker in 1840. According to their
        > marriage cert, they were both previously married. I have found Margaret's 1st
        > marriage but have never been able to find John's 1st marriage.
        >
        > On John's marriage cert of 1840 he was living Smaredale, a farmer.

        I don't think i can help there, though I have been looking at that branch of
        the family (descendants of Mark Ellwood and Anne Loadman) mainly because it
        was interested in what had happened to the Michael's.

        > Here is John's family:
        >
        > John Ellwood- He was born 1807 in Bongate.
        > Baptism on 15 Feb 1807. He died on 02 Jan 1884 in Crosby Ravensworth.
        >
        > Margaret Parker is the daughter of William Parker and Mary Nelson. She was
        > born 1817 in Warcop [7]. Baptism on 02 Dec 1817 in Warcop. She died on 03 Jul
        > 1901.
        >
        > John Ellwood and Margaret Parker. They were married on 16 Dec 1840 in Kirkby
        > Stephen. They had 8 children.
        >
        > i. Mary Anne Ellwood. She was born 1842 in Smardale. Baptism on 14 Aug
        > 1842 in Kirkby Stephen. She died on 24 Jul 1885 in Appleby.

        I have her with a daughter Agnes born 1870.

        > ii. Isabella Ellwood. She was born 1844 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on 19
        > Apr 1844 in Crosby Ravensworth. She died on 06 Jul 1912 in Crosby Ravensworth.

        I have her with a daughter Margaret, born 1868.

        > iii. Elizabeth Ellwood. She was born 1846 in Crosby Ravensworth. She died on
        > 08 Dec 1926 in Crosby Ravensworth.
        >
        > iv. Margaret Ellwood. She was born 1849 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on 13
        > May 1849 in CrosbyRavensworth. She died 1854 in Crosby Ravensworth.
        >
        > v. John Ellwood. He was born 1851 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on 06 Sep
        > 1851 in Crosby Ravensworth. He married Alice Farrer. They were married on 01
        > Jun 1879. He died on 31 Jan 1921 in Warcop.

        I have him with three sons, John, Thomas and William - any more?

        > vi. Thomas Parker Ellwood. He was born 1854 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on
        > 09 Jun 1854 in Crosby Ravensworth.

        I didn't have him - must add him.

        > vii. Michael Ellwood. He was born 1856 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism on 12
        > Dec
        > 1856 in Crosby Ravensworth. He died 1918 in Crosby Ravenaworth.
        >
        > viii. William Henry Ellwood. He was born 1861 in Crosby Ravensworth. Baptism
        > on
        > 09 May 1861 in Crosby Ravensworth. He married Rachel Robertson. They were
        > married 1889.

        I have him with a daughter Margaret. He seems to have disappeared after she
        was born in 1890 though.

        My wife Val's ggg grandfather was Robert Ellwood who married Martha Saxon.

        For a long time they were as far back as we could go, until we discovered the
        link on Bruce Morrison's site.