The Ellwood-Rushton connection

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2011
      A couple of days ago I discovered a connection between the Ellwood and
      Rushton families.

      Gillian McKenna left a message for me telling what she knew of the children
      of Michael Ellwood (1770-1853) and his wife Mary Atkinson (1771-1872).

      Most of their children died young, except for two - Mark Ellwood (1807-1849)
      who married Jane Powley and lived in London. Their son Mark Ellwood went to
      Canada.

      The other surviving child of Michael and Mary was Anne Ellwood (b. 1801 in
      Appleby, Westmorland) who married Thomas Rushton (1805-1850) in Appleby in
      1826. Thomas was the son of Mark Rushton (1772-1851) and Mary Yarker (1772-
      1836).

      That reminded me that I had been at school with a Mark Rushton, though we had
      lost contact since leaving school. One of the interesting things about this,
      however, is that seems that this Mark Rushton and Mary Yarker may well have
      been his ancestors, but more about that later.

      Thomas Rushton and Anne Ellwood had at least seven children, most of whom
      died young. But two survived: Ellwood Rushton and Yarker Rushton.

      You'd think that with names like that they would be easy to find in the
      various online indexes, but not a bit of it. The trouble is, I think, that
      the transcribers and compilers of online indexes could not believe that
      anyone could have a name like Yarker, so they wrote Yorker, Garker, Yasser,
      Yanker and various other things.

      Then I thought of my old schoolfellow and thought "what if I search for his
      full name?" Perhaps he's become interested in family history and has it all
      sorted. So I typed "Mark Morland Rushton" as a search argument, and, Lo and
      Behold, there was a fairly full family tree. It wasn't his, but it did have
      someone who could well have been his grandfather. It's at:

      http://jo.warby.markingtime.bigpondhosting.com/p230.htm

      I followed up some of those, and managed to find a few more children and
      grandchildren, some full names and the names of some spouses, so if anyone is
      interested in this part of the family, please let me know.

      This branch are among the descendants of Mark Ellwood (born in Dufton in
      1734) and married Ann Loadman of Brough under Stainmore. Is anyone else
      interested in/researching that branch of the Ellwoods?