Re: [ellwood] RE: My John Ellwood b. 1844 in Crosby Ravensworth

  • Gillian Mc kenna
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2013
      Hi Rachel,

      Thanks for the extra info & attachments. I am getting a clearer picture now. I have always been interested in Ellwoods from Crosby Ravensworth as I have Ellwood interests there too.

      I have been looking through earlier messages as I had a feeling that this family had been discussed before & I was correct! Back in December 2011 there was a discusion about John Ellwood & Agnes Thirnbeck. I have copied what I wrote about John's parents John & Mary:

      From census returns of John & Mary, the parents, I can see 5 children:
      > Elizabeth b1821 Crosby Ravensworth, John b1825 CR, Margaret b1829 CR, Hannah
      > b1832 CR & Agnes b1835 CR.
      >
      > Looking at the Crosby Ravensworth parish records, some but not all children
      > were baptised at CR. I can see:
      >
      > William bap 12/02/1819 son John & Mary farmer of Scout Green (William d1820)
      > Elizabeth bap 05/03/1821 dau John & Mary farmer of Scout Green
      > Jane bap 12/10/1831 dau John & Mary farmer of Oddendale
      > Hannah bap 06/09/1832 dau John & Mary farmer of Oddendale
      > Agnes bap 14/6/1835 dau of John & Mary farmer of Oddendale.
      >
      > The only baptism of the son John I can see (familysearch) is in Orton
      > 10/7/1825 and also in Orton for Margaret 03/05/1829 Orton. Orton is a village
      > next door to CR. The family could have been living Scout Green CR, then Orton,
      > then back to Oddendale in CR.

      > John the father was born 1792 in either Kirkby Stephen (1851 census) or Kirkby
      > Thore (1861 census)!! If William b1819 was the eldest son of John & Mary, it
      > could be that John's father was called William also?? That's if they followed
      > the traditional naming pattern.

      Hope this helps!

      Do you have John & Mary's marriage? Maybe somewhere in Appleby as that is were she came from?

      I would be really interested to find out where the Mark Ellwood who married Elizth Huck came from. I have a few Marks in my tree also.