My John Ellwood b. 1844 in Crosby Ravensworth

  • rachelcampbell6250
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2013
      Wow... John was a very popular name... I joined this group because I did a google search yesterday for John Ellwood and Alice Wilkinson and I found a reference to their marriage somewhere on this site.

      John Ellwood and Alice Wilkinson immigrated to the US with their children from Westmoreland in 1883.

      Starting with my grandmother, here is what I have:

      Katherine Alice Perten was the daughter of
      Marion Noble Perten (and Ernest Perten) who was the daughter of
      Mary Alice Ellwood Noble (and John Noble) who was the daughter of
      John Ellwood (married Alice Wilkinson) who was the son of
      John Ellwood (and Agnes Thirnbeck) who was the son of
      John Ellwood (and Mary Shepherd)

      I have some pictures (ok, maybe two) of John Ellwood (Mary Alice's father). I'll post them when I get a chance.

      If anyone is connected to this line I'd love to hear from you. Apparently my John was the only one to move away from his immediate family. I don't really know anything about the Ellwoods (other than their names).

      All the best, Rachel
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 20, 2013
        On 20 Aug 2013 at 10:50, rachelcampbell6250 wrote:

        > John Ellwood and Alice Wilkinson immigrated to the US with their children from
        > Westmoreland in 1883.
        >
        > Starting with my grandmother, here is what I have:
        >
        > Katherine Alice Perten was the daughter of
        > Marion Noble Perten (and Ernest Perten) who was the daughter of
        > Mary Alice Ellwood Noble (and John Noble) who was the daughter of
        > John Ellwood (married Alice Wilkinson) who was the son of
        > John Ellwood (and Agnes Thirnbeck) who was the son of
        > John Ellwood (and Mary Shepherd)

        I have the earlier generations - John Ellwood and Agnes Thirnbeck and their
        children from the 1861 census.

        I didn't have the Alice Wilkinson, but will add it for future reference. I
        have the parents of John Ellwood who married Mary Shepherd as Mark Ellwood
        and Elizabeth Huck, with no further details of them, so do not know if this
        family connects with ours in any way. Maybe someone else reading this will
        have more details.

        > I have some pictures (ok, maybe two) of John Ellwood (Mary Alice's father).
        > I'll post them when I get a chance.
        >
        > If anyone is connected to this line I'd love to hear from you. Apparently my
        > John was the only one to move away from his immediate family. I don't really
        > know anything about the Ellwoods (other than their names).
        >
        > All the best, Rachel

      • gillianmckenna
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2013

           Hi Rachel,

          Were your John & Alice Ellwood in the 1881 census living in Orton?

          John Ellwood b1852 Crosby Ravensworth

          Alice wife b1853 Orton

          Margaret A daughter b1880 Orton

          I have a baptism for John - 6/9/1851 CR son of John & Margaret (née Nutt) which doesn't tie up with your John and Agnes?

          --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, <hayesstw@...> wrote:

          On 20 Aug 2013 at 10:50, rachelcampbell6250 wrote:

          > John Ellwood and Alice Wilkinson immigrated to the US with their children from
          > Westmoreland in 1883.
          >
          > Starting with my grandmother, here is what I have:
          >
          > Katherine Alice Perten was the daughter of
          > Marion Noble Perten (and Ernest Perten) who was the daughter of
          > Mary Alice Ellwood Noble (and John Noble) who was the daughter of
          > John Ellwood (married Alice Wilkinson) who was the son of
          > John Ellwood (and Agnes Thirnbeck) who was the son of
          > John Ellwood (and Mary Shepherd)

          I have the earlier generations - John Ellwood and Agnes Thirnbeck and their
          children from the 1861 census.

          I didn't have the Alice Wilkinson, but will add it for future reference. I
          have the parents of John Ellwood who married Mary Shepherd as Mark Ellwood
          and Elizabeth Huck, with no further details of them, so do not know if this
          family connects with ours in any way. Maybe someone else reading this will
          have more details.

          > I have some pictures (ok, maybe two) of John Ellwood (Mary Alice's father).
          > I'll post them when I get a chance.
          >
          > If anyone is connected to this line I'd love to hear from you. Apparently my
          > John was the only one to move away from his immediate family. I don't really
          > know anything about the Ellwoods (other than their names).
          >
          > All the best, Rachel

        • Rachel Campbell
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2013
            No, in 1881 my John and Alice were in St. Ann's in Lancaster. Their children together were Mary, William and Joseph. Unfortunately the ancestry record has a transcription error. While John's name is on the image, he is skipped in the transcription.

            And my John was born 1844.

            Rachel

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Sep 2, 2013, at 11:34 AM, <gillianmckenna@...> wrote:

             Hi Rachel,

            Were your John & Alice Ellwood in the 1881 census living in Orton?

            John Ellwood b1852 Crosby Ravensworth

            Alice wife b1853 Orton

            Margaret A daughter b1880 Orton

            I have a baptism for John - 6/9/1851 CR son of John & Margaret (née Nutt) which doesn't tie up with your John and Agnes?

            --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, <hayesstw@...> wrote:

            On 20 Aug 2013 at 10:50, rachelcampbell6250 wrote:

            > John Ellwood and Alice Wilkinson immigrated to the US with their children from
            > Westmoreland in 1883.
            >
            > Starting with my grandmother, here is what I have:
            >
            > Katherine Alice Perten was the daughter of
            > Marion Noble Perten (and Ernest Perten) who was the daughter of
            > Mary Alice Ellwood Noble (and John Noble) who was the daughter of
            > John Ellwood (married Alice Wilkinson) who was the son of
            > John Ellwood (and Agnes Thirnbeck) who was the son of
            > John Ellwood (and Mary Shepherd)

            I have the earlier generations - John Ellwood and Agnes Thirnbeck and their
            children from the 1861 census.

            I didn't have the Alice Wilkinson, but will add it for future reference. I
            have the parents of John Ellwood who married Mary Shepherd as Mark Ellwood
            and Elizabeth Huck, with no further details of them, so do not know if this
            family connects with ours in any way. Maybe someone else reading this will
            have more details.

            > I have some pictures (ok, maybe two) of John Ellwood (Mary Alice's father).
            > I'll post them when I get a chance.
            >
            > If anyone is connected to this line I'd love to hear from you. Apparently my
            > John was the only one to move away from his immediate family. I don't really
            > know anything about the Ellwoods (other than their names).
            >
            > All the best, Rachel

          • gillianmckenna
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2013

               Hi Rachel,

              OK yes I have found them in the 1881 census.

              I have found:

              John Ellwood married Agnes Thirnbeck 13/9/1845 Middleton - the record states that John's father was John Ellwood & Agnes' father was Christopher Thirnbeck.

              According to the 1871 census in Casterton, Kendal, John Ellwood (who married Agnes) was b1825 Crosby Westmorland.

              I can only find:

              John Ellwood bap 10/7/1825 Orton (which is next to Crosby Ravensworth) son of John & Mary.

              Other siblings are possibly Ann, Mary, Margaret, Ruth.

              Is this your John?

              In my notes the wife Mary died 16/6/1828 CR aged 31 alone with two daughters Ann d 2/7/1828 age 7 & Mary d 5/7/1828 age 5, both at CR.

              Is this the same family?

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2013
                On 3 Sep 2013 at 5:55, gillianmckenna@... wrote:

                > OK yes I have found them in the 1881 census.
                >
                > I have found:
                >
                > John Ellwood married Agnes Thirnbeck 13/9/1845 Middleton - the record states
                > that John's father was John Ellwood & Agnes' father was Christopher Thirnbeck.
                >
                > According to the 1871 census in Casterton, Kendal, John Ellwood (who married
                > Agnes)was b1825 Crosby Westmorland.
                >
                > I can only find:
                > John Ellwood bap 10/7/1825 Orton (which is next to Crosby Ravensworth) son of
                > John & Mary. Other siblings are possibly Ann, Mary, Margaret, Ruth. Is this
                > your John?

                I have that one too, got from various censuses.

                > In my notes the wife Mary died 16/6/1828 CR aged 31 alone with two daughters
                > Ann d 2/7/1828 age 7 & Mary d 5/7/1828 age 5, both at CR.
                >
                > Is this the same family?

                I have them back to Mark Ellwood and Elizabeth Huck

              • Rachel Campbell
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3, 2013
                  My John Ellwood was born to Agnes Thirnbeck and John Ellwood around 1844. He was born in Middleton, Westmorland. Attached you will find him on the 1851-1881 Census records with:

                  1851: With his grandparents - John Ellwood and Mary Shepherd
                  1861: with his parents - John Ellwood and Agnes Thirnbeck
                  1871: With his wife, and then just below his mother-in-law Alice Wilkinson and two of her grandchildren.
                  1881: with his wife and children (Mary, William and Joseph)
                  In 1883 they all hopped a ship to NY- along with his wife's daughter from another relationship- the ship manifest is also attached.

                  My John's siblings were: William, Robert, James, Mary Jane, Christopher, Edwin, Agnes and Elizabeth.

                  The John in the middle (John II) was born in Crosby Ravensworth to John (I) and Mary (maybe Shepherd, maybe Jackson) about 1825. His siblings were: Elizabeth, Margaret, Hannah and Agness- These were the children of John Ellwood and Mary; Or at least that is what I have in my records.

                  John Ellwood (I), born ? around 1791 married Mary, but I don't have any imperical evidence that shows whom his parents were.

                  > OK yes I have found them in the 1881 census.
                  >
                  > I have found:
                  >
                  > John Ellwood married Agnes Thirnbeck 13/9/1845 Middleton - the record states
                  > that John's father was John Ellwood & Agnes' father was Christopher Thirnbeck.
                  >
                  > According to the 1871 census in Casterton, Kendal, John Ellwood (who married
                  > Agnes)was b1825 Crosby Westmorland.
                  >
                  > I can only find:
                  > John Ellwood bap 10/7/1825 Orton (which is next to Crosby Ravensworth) son of
                  > John & Mary. Other siblings are possibly Ann, Mary, Margaret, Ruth. Is this
                  > your John?

                  I have that one too, got from various censuses.

                  > In my notes the wife Mary died 16/6/1828 CR aged 31 alone with two daughters
                  > Ann d 2/7/1828 age 7 & Mary d 5/7/1828 age 5, both at CR.
                  >
                  > Is this the same family?

                  I have them back to Mark Ellwood and Elizabeth Huck

                • Gillian Mc kenna
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 4, 2013
                    Hi Rachel,

                    Thanks for the extra info & attachments. I am getting a clearer picture now. I have always been interested in Ellwoods from Crosby Ravensworth as I have Ellwood interests there too.

                    I have been looking through earlier messages as I had a feeling that this family had been discussed before & I was correct! Back in December 2011 there was a discusion about John Ellwood & Agnes Thirnbeck. I have copied what I wrote about John's parents John & Mary:

                    From census returns of John & Mary, the parents, I can see 5 children:
                    > Elizabeth b1821 Crosby Ravensworth, John b1825 CR, Margaret b1829 CR, Hannah
                    > b1832 CR & Agnes b1835 CR.
                    >
                    > Looking at the Crosby Ravensworth parish records, some but not all children
                    > were baptised at CR. I can see:
                    >
                    > William bap 12/02/1819 son John & Mary farmer of Scout Green (William d1820)
                    > Elizabeth bap 05/03/1821 dau John & Mary farmer of Scout Green
                    > Jane bap 12/10/1831 dau John & Mary farmer of Oddendale
                    > Hannah bap 06/09/1832 dau John & Mary farmer of Oddendale
                    > Agnes bap 14/6/1835 dau of John & Mary farmer of Oddendale.
                    >
                    > The only baptism of the son John I can see (familysearch) is in Orton
                    > 10/7/1825 and also in Orton for Margaret 03/05/1829 Orton. Orton is a village
                    > next door to CR. The family could have been living Scout Green CR, then Orton,
                    > then back to Oddendale in CR.

                    > John the father was born 1792 in either Kirkby Stephen (1851 census) or Kirkby
                    > Thore (1861 census)!! If William b1819 was the eldest son of John & Mary, it
                    > could be that John's father was called William also?? That's if they followed
                    > the traditional naming pattern.

                    Hope this helps!

                    Do you have John & Mary's marriage? Maybe somewhere in Appleby as that is were she came from?

                    I would be really interested to find out where the Mark Ellwood who married Elizth Huck came from. I have a few Marks in my tree also.

                    On 3 Sep 2013 at 5:55, mailto:gillianmckenna%40yahoo.com wrote:

                    > OK yes I have found them in the 1881 census.
                    >
                    > I have found:
                    >
                    > John Ellwood married Agnes Thirnbeck 13/9/1845 Middleton - the record states
                    > that John's father was John Ellwood & Agnes' father was Christopher Thirnbeck.
                    >
                    > According to the 1871 census in Casterton, Kendal, John Ellwood (who married
                    > Agnes)was b1825 Crosby Westmorland.
                    >
                    > I can only find:
                    > John Ellwood bap 10/7/1825 Orton (which is next to Crosby Ravensworth) son of
                    > John & Mary. Other siblings are possibly Ann, Mary, Margaret, Ruth. Is this
                    > your John?

                    I have that one too, got from various censuses.

                    > In my notes the wife Mary died 16/6/1828 CR aged 31 alone with two daughters
                    > Ann d 2/7/1828 age 7 & Mary d 5/7/1828 age 5, both at CR.
                    >
                    > Is this the same family?

                    I have them back to Mark Ellwood and Elizabeth Huck

                    E-mail: mailto:shayes%40dunelm.org.uk