Ellwood anomalies

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8 10:39 PM
      With a whole lot more Ellwood ancestors, there also a lot more descendants
      that we may be related to, and one of the things that we have discovered is
      that a large number of online family trees have links to the wrong families,
      with children who died in infancy being shown as having long lines of
      descendants and so on.

      John Ellwood (1748-?)

      John Ellwood was born in Alston, Cumberland, in about 1748, the son of Thomas
      and Mary Ellwood.

      Some researchers show him as married to Mary Gibson born in 1748 in Moresby,
      Cumberland, and having seven children, born in Whitehaven. At some point in
      the late 18th century the family moved to Scotland, where some of the
      children married, and some of them emigrated with their spouses to the USA.

      Other researchers show this same John Ellwood as married to Elizabeth Hogg,
      and having a completely different set of children.They can't both be right.

      Eleanor Ellwood and Thomas Jaques (or Jacques)

      In 1850 a Thomas Jaques (or Jacques) married an Eleanor Ellwood in
      Whitehaven, Cumberland.

      Quite a number of online trees show Eleanor (born 1829) as the daughter of
      Robert Ellwood and Martha Saxton (or Saxon).

      Now Robert Ellwood and Martha Saxon did indeed have a daughter Eleanor, but
      she was born in 1822, not 1829, and she probably died young. The Eleanor
      Ellwood who married Thomas Jaques in 1850 was probably born in 1829, but the
      one who was born in 1829 was the daughter of William and Ann Ellwood, and not
      the daughter of Robert and Martha.

      We've looked at lots of online trees with Eleanor in them, in the hope that
      some researcher has found the antecedents of William and Ann Ellwood, to see
      if they link into the same Ellwood family somewhere, but so far we haven't
      found any. Most of them have opted for the bogus link to Robert and Martha.

      Incidentally, there was another Eleanor Ellwood, born in 1821, the daughter
      of Thomas and Sarah Ellwood, who married Richard Herring in 1846 and had
      descendants, but nobody seems to be interested in her, and she doesn't seem
      to feature in anyone's online tree.

    • Greta
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31 3:35 AM
        Hi All

        Have been reading all the posts and came across this one. I've now purchased the marriage record of Thomas Jacques and Eleanor Ellwood in the hopes of clearing up the mystery of my GGGG Grandparents ... I'm now waiting on it's delivery and will post a copy of the certificate when it arrives.

        I'm not looking forward to having to change all the Ellwoods in my tree .. but for the sake of accuracy .. must be done.

        Cheers
        Greta

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31 10:11 AM
          On 31 Jul 2011 at 10:35, Greta wrote:

          > Have been reading all the posts and came across this one. I've now purchased
          > the marriage record of Thomas Jacques and Eleanor Ellwood in the hopes of
          > clearing up the mystery of my GGGG Grandparents ... I'm now waiting on it's
          > delivery and will post a copy of the certificate when it arrives.

          That would certainly be interesting.

          I can send you what I have on that family if you are interested -- if others
          are interested too I could upload it to the forum web site.

        • Genie Zappanti
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31 11:16 AM
            Click Me!
            Please do, I am interested in learning about ALL the Ellwoods.
            Genie

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 31 12:18 PM
              On 31 Jul 2011 at 11:16, Genie Zappanti wrote:

              > Please do, I am interested in learning about ALL the Ellwoods.
              > Genie

              OK, watch our for an announcement here, and follow the link.