John Ellwood, born 1748

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7 10:05 PM
      Another Ellwood family research problem.

      We've been looking at various people's online family trees, and we find that
      there was a John Ellwood, born in Alston, Cumberland, in 1748, the son of
      Thomas and Mary Ellwood (see family group sheets below for details).

      Some people show him as married to Mary Gibson with seven children, including
      a Gibson Ellwood, whose descendants settled in the USA.

      Others show him as married to an Elizabeth Hogg in Great Salkeld, Cumberland.
      with an entirely different set of children.

      They can't both be right, so I wonder which it is.

      Here are the family group sheets showing what we have:

      Family History System 8 Jul 2011
      Merged Group Reports

      NAME: ELLWOOD, Thomas, Born ??? 1715 in Murton, WES, ENG, Died
      ??? 1801 in Whitehaven, CUL, ENG at age 86; FATHER: ELLWOOD,
      Thomas, Born ??? 1697, Died ??? 1785 at age 88; MOTHER: Jane,
      Died 5 Feb 1727; Born:Murton,Westmorland,England
      Died:Whitehaven,Cumberland,England

      MARRIED 5 Feb 1742 in see Notes, to ELLWOOD, Mary, Born ??? 1723
      in Dufton, WES, ENG, Died ??? 1789 in Alston, CUL, ENG at age
      66; FATHER: ELLWOOD, Thomas, Born ??? 1698, Died ??? 1757 at
      age 59; MOTHER: WATSON, Frances, Born ??? 1700; Thomas and
      Mary Ellwood were 4th cousins; Born:Dufton,Westmorland,England
      Died:Fairhill,Alston,Cumberland,England

      CHILDREN:
      1. M ELLWOOD, Joseph, born ??? 1742 in Dufton, WES, ENG, died
      ??? 1743
      2. F ELLWOOD, Jane, born ??? 1745 in Knarsdale, NBL, ENG, died
      ???; Married 31 Dec 1775 to REID, Thomas
      3. M ELLWOOD, John, born ??? 1748 in Alston, CUL, ENG, died
      ???; Married 7 Jul 1771 to GIBSON, Mary
      4. F ELLWOOD, Frances, born ??? 1751 in Alston, CUL, ENG, died
      ???
      5. M ELLWOOD, Thomas, born ??? 1753 in Alston, CUL, ENG, died
      13 Dec 1826 in Whitehaven, CUL, ENG; Married 26 Aug 1776
      to LOWERY, Hannah; 13 children
      6. F ELLWOOD, Mary, born ??? 1755 in see Notes
      7. F ELLWOOD, Elizabeth, born ??? 1758 in see Notes; Married
      ??? 1782 to BROWN, John
      8. F ELLWOOD, Ann, born ??? 1759? in see Notes, died ??? 1761
      9. F ELLWOOD, Ann, born ??? 1751? in see Notes, died ??? 1752?

      NAME: ELLWOOD, John, Born ??? 1748 in Alston, CUL, ENG, Died ???;
      FATHER: ELLWOOD, Thomas, Born ??? 1715, Died ??? 1801 at age
      86; MOTHER: ELLWOOD, Mary, Born ??? 1723, Died ??? 1789 at age
      66; Born:Alston,Cumberland,England
      Married Mary Gibson in Whitehaven and later returned to Alston.
      In the 1790s he moved to Paisley in Scotland.

      MARRIED 7 Jul 1771 in Whitehaven, CUL, ENG, to GIBSON, Mary,
      Born 19 Feb 1748 in Moresby, CUL, ENG, Died ???; FATHER:
      GIBSON, Edward, Born ??? 1714, Died ???; MOTHER: FISHER, Mary,
      Born ??? 1718, Died ???; Married:Whitehaven,Cumberland,England

      If the John Ellwood born in 1748 married Mary Gibson, then who was the other
      John Ellwood who married Elizabeth Hogg?

      And vice versa?

      Is anyone researching the Ellwoods of Great Salkeld?

      If so, can you throw any light on this?