Re: [ellwood] John Elwood at Queen's Colleage Oxford

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
      On 20 Mar 2013 at 14:47, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > Have found by googling that:
      >
      > John Elwood son of Christopher of Dufton matriculated 1662 age 18 at Queen's
      > College Oxford.
      >
      > John was probably b1643 Dufton, the son of Christopher & Bridget Dobson.
      >
      > He was obviously alive in 1662. I have no further information for him after
      > that date. Does anyone have anything?

      In our records we have a John, son of Bridget & Christopher, born about 1647,
      but no further information, but as that is obviously the same John, will
      amend the information in our records accordingly.

      One possibility is that he became an Anglican clergyman after graduation (if
      he graduated), so it might be worth checking that out, and if that was the
      case he could have gone to a parish anywhere in the country. 1662 was just
      after the Restoration of Charles II.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
        Hi

        According to my notes,I have:

        John Elwood son of Christopher & Bridget Dobson. He was born 1643 in Dufton. Baptism on 26 Mar 1643 in Dufton.

        Regards

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
          On 21 Mar 2013 at 12:02, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > According to my notes,I have:
          >
          > John Elwood son of Christopher & Bridget Dobson. He was born 1643 in Dufton.
          > Baptism on 26 Mar 1643 in Dufton.

          So that makes it pretty likely that he was the one at Oxford.

          It was his brother Reginald that I was looking for when I found your messages
          on Rootschat -- do you have any more info about him?