Re: [ellwood] Re: Grace Ellwood 1800-1872 Great Salkeld Cumberland

  • GRACE STANTON
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2012
      Thank you Gillian for your quick reply, will take onboard your info and check it back, first thoughs on John Elwood marriage to Mary Gibson was may be he married her first, she died then married Elizabeth Hogg, Will come back to you hopfully when I find any more. Kind regards Grace Stanton

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2012
        On 5 Dec 2012 at 9:19, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

        > Also the name Hogg rang a bell with me. There was a discussion back in
        > July/august 2011 about Ellwoods & Hoggs raised by Steve. Here is an excert of
        > his message:
        >
        > "John Ellwood (1748-?)
        >
        > John Ellwood was born in Alston, Cumberland, in about 1748, the son of
        > Thomas and Mary Ellwood.
        >
        > Some researchers show him as married to Mary Gibson born in 1748 in
        > Moresby, Cumberland, and having seven children, born in Whitehaven. At
        > some point in the late 18th century the family moved to Scotland, where
        > some of the children married, and some of them emigrated with their
        > spouses to the USA.
        >
        > Other researchers show this same John Ellwood as married to Elizabeth
        > Hogg, and having a completely different set of children.They can't both be
        > right."

        I looked it again, and am pretty certain the John Ellwood born in Alston in
        1848 was rthe one who married Mary Gilbert, and the one who married Elizabeth
        Hogg was a different John Ellwood, though I have no idea where he came from.