Mary Ann Disno or Dyson and Ann Ellwood

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21, 2012
      In the 1881 Census for Whitehaven, Cumberland, England there is a mysterious
      Mary Ann DISNO, a dressmaker aged 23, born in Liverpool

      She was staying with John and Ann ELLWOOD at 2 Rose Cottage, Preston Quarter,
      Whitehaven, and is shown as their niece.

      The census reference is RG 11/5188 Folio 9 Page 12

      I have not been able to find and other reference to Mary Ann DISNO, but there
      is a possibility the the ennumerator was dyslexic, and that her surname was
      actually DYSON.

      FreeBMD shows a Mary Ann DYSON born in Liverpool in the June Quarter of 1857,
      and FamilySearch shows that her parents were probably William and Mary Ann
      DYSON (born ELLIS).

      I can find no link between John Ellwood (1819-1892) and any ELLIS or DYSON
      families, so I assume that Mary Ann DYSON or DISNO was related through his
      wife Ann.

      Ann is also rather mysterious -- she was John Ellwood's second wife, and
      though we know nothing about her maiden name, or previous married name (if
      any) we do know that she was an ardent Primitive Methodist and converted her
      husband to that sect. But it appears (again from FamilySearch) that William
      Dyson and Mary Ann Ellis were married in a Roman Catholic Church in Liverpool
      and that is about as far from Primitive Methodism as it was possible to be in
      the 19th century,

      So if anyone can suggest a way of dinding the connection between Ann Ellwood
      and Mary Ann Disno/Dyson, I would be grateful.

    • Hilary Jackson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 21, 2012

        H Steve, I have no answer for you other than to say I haven’t managed to find a marriage of Ann and John Ellwood. Do you think the Disno could be Disney. There are a few who came over from Ireland via Liverpool. Will try and dig more deeply. Regards Hilary

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 21, 2012

          Hi Steve, I can’t find a marriage for John to Ann other than 1881 census. Do you think Disno Is really Disney. There are Disneys who  came over from Ireland Via Liverpool. Just A thought. Best Wishes Hilary

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 21, 2012
            On 21 Sep 2012 at 17:37, Hilary Jackson wrote:

            > H Steve, I have no answer for you other than to say I haven't managed to
            > find a marriage of Ann and John Ellwood. Do you think the Disno could be
            > Disney. There are a few who came over from Ireland via Liverpool. Will try and
            > dig more deeply. Regards Hilary

            Mary Ann Dyson appears in the 1861 and 1871 censuses of Liverpool aged 4 and
            14 respectively, so she seems quite likely to be the one who was in
            Whitehaven. It's just working out how she was a niece that is the big
            problem.