William Ellwood death cert

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2012
      Hi All

      It has been a while since our last messages!

      I have just received William Ellwood's death certificate. William was born 1772 Dufton, son of Mark Ellwood & Ann Loadman. William married Ann Simpson 27/7/1794 St Michael's Appleby.

      William died 2/4/1841 Bongate Appleby. The informant was his wife Ann. William was buried 5/4/1841 and the record says he was of Gale House Appleby.

      William died before the 1841 census, however, there is no sign of Ann his wife. According to freebmd there are no deaths recorded of Ann Ellwoods until 1842!

      I have found the following entry:

      ELLWOOD, Ann F 70 1771 Westmorland VIEW
      BINKS, Sarah F 75 1766 Westmorland VIEW

      Piece: 1157
      Book/Folio: 2/5
      Page: 5
      Registration District: 5
      Civil Parish: Kirkby Stephen
      Municipal Borough:
      Address: Rookby, Kirkby Stephen, Kaber
      County: Westmorland

      but I belive this is another Ann née Waistell who married John Ellwood.

      Any ideas??

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31
        On 24 Jul 2012 at 16:21, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

        > I have just received William Ellwood's death certificate. William was born
        > 1772 Dufton, son of Mark Ellwood & Ann Loadman. William married Ann Simpson
        > 27/7/1794 St Michael's Appleby.
        >
        > William died 2/4/1841 Bongate Appleby. The informant was his wife Ann.
        > William was buried 5/4/1841 and the record says he was of Gale House
        > Appleby.
        >
        > William died before the 1841 census, however, there is no sign of Ann his
        > wife. According to freebmd there are no deaths recorded of Ann Ellwoods until
        > 1842!

        I've been checking on some old stuff and came across this.

        We have Ann's death as Sep 1842. That came from Jean Ellwood on Mundia (now
        Ancestry.com).

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2 3:40 AM

          Dear Steve,

          Sep 1842 could be a possible death date for Ann Ellwood from the GRO index. I have not applied for the death cert. There are infact 2 deaths at this time for 2 Ann Ellwoods. I have no found her in the 1841 census, I can only find one Ann Ellwood in Kirkby Stephen aged 70, independant. I don’t think this is our Ann.

          Provenance : Courrier pour Windows 10

          De : 'Steve Hayes' hayesstw@... [ellwood]
          Envoyé le :mardi 31 octobre 2017 15:48
          À : ellwood@yahoogroups.com
          Objet :Re: [ellwood] William Ellwood death cert

          On 24 Jul 2012 at 16:21, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

          > I have just received William Ellwood's death certificate. William was born

          > 1772 Dufton, son of Mark Ellwood & Ann Loadman. William married Ann Simpson

          > 27/7/1794 St Michael's Appleby.

          > William died 2/4/1841 Bongate Appleby. The informant was his wife Ann.

          > William was buried 5/4/1841 and the record says he was of Gale House

          > Appleby.

          > William died before the 1841 census, however, there is no sign of Ann his

          > wife. According to freebmd there are no deaths recorded of Ann Ellwoods until

          > 1842!

          I've been checking on some old stuff and came across this.

          We have Ann's death as Sep 1842. That came from Jean Ellwood on Mundia (now

          Ancestry.com).

          ------------------------------------

          Posted by: "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@...>

          ------------------------------------

          <*> Your email settings:

              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:

              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

              ellwood-digest@yahoogroups.com

              ellwood-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • nicola.thwaite1@btopenworld.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2 4:59 AM
            This isn't my line of Ellwoods, so I don't have any death date to suggest.  But the GRO indexes include death ages now and the 2 East Ward registrations in S quarter of 1842 are for women aged 37 and 42, so unless they've been transcribed (which is always possible of course!) it seems they can't be Ann Simpson who married in 1794

            Nicola Thwaite

            De : 'Steve Hayes' hayesstw@... [ellwood]
            Envoyé le :mardi 31 octobre 2017 15:48
            À : ellwood@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2 6:30 AM

              Hi Nicola,

              Thanks for that info. I didn’t have it. Where did you get it from?

              Ann Ellwood is mentioned on William’s death cert. It doesn’t say « wife » though. Ann & William did not have a daughter Ann, but they did have a daughter in law Ann (wife of son Thomas). Maybe this is the Ann Ellwood on the death cert and Ann the wife died before William ?

              Regards

              Gillian

              Provenance : Courrier pour Windows 10

              De : 'Steve Hayes' hayesstw@... [ellwood]
              Envoyé le :mardi 31 octobre 2017 15:48
              À : ellwood@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2 10:06 AM
                On 2 Nov 2017 at 11:59, 'nicola.thwaite1@btopenworld. wrote:

                > This isn't my line of Ellwoods, so I don't have any death date to suggest.
                > But the GRO indexes include death ages now and the 2 East Ward registrations
                > in S quarter of 1842 are for women aged 37 and 42, so unless they've been
                > transcribed (which is always possible of course!) it seems they can't be Ann
                > Simpson who married in 1794

                Thanks, I've removed that death date for Ann Simpson, then.

              • nicola.thwaite1@btopenworld.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2 11:07 AM
                  It's from the new, improved GRO indexes at

                  They now give mother's maiden name for all births and age for all deaths (although there is a glitch with infant deaths in months which sometimes appear as years instead).  I've solved quite a few queries since it went live.

                  Also worth noting that they're running another pilot at the moment where you can order pdfs of births and death entries for £6 rather than ordering a full certificate. You get all the same information, it just has no official value.

                  Nicola

                  De : 'Steve Hayes' hayesstw@... [ellwood]
                  Envoyé le :mardi 31 octobre 2017 15:48
                  À : ellwood@yahoogroups.com

                  On 24 Jul 2012 at 16:21, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

                  > I have just received William Ellwood's death certificate. William was born

                  > 1772 Dufton, son of Mark Ellwood & Ann Loadman. William married Ann Simpson

                  > 27/7/1794 St Michael's Appleby.

                  > William died 2/4/1841 Bongate Appleby. The informant was his wife Ann.

                  > William was buried 5/4/1841 and the record says he was of Gale House

                  > Appleby.

                  > William died before the 1841 census, however, there is no sign of Ann his

                  > wife. According to freebmd there are no deaths recorded of Ann Ellwoods until

                  > 1842!

                  I've been checking on some old stuff and came across this.

                  We have Ann's death as Sep 1842. That came from Jean Ellwood on Mundia (now

                  Ancestry.com).

                  ------------------------------------

                  Posted by: "Steve Hayes" <hayesstw@...>

                  ------------------------------------

                  <*> Your email settings:

                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:

                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:

                      ellwood-digest@yahoogroups.com

                      ellwood-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  <04A4926BE6564D28B9B203377A2BA7CF.png>
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6 10:24 AM

                  Hi Nicola,

                  A useful website, thanks.

                  I was going to apply for the pdf certs as you mentioned but seeing as the 2 Ann Ellwoods died at a younger age, I’ll save the money for other certs !

                  Regards

                  Gillian

                  Provenance : Courrier pour Windows 10

                  De : 'Steve Hayes' hayesstw@... [ellwood]