Re: Daniel and Ann Abbey

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2012
      Hi Laura,

      Is this Edmund Ellwood b1795?

      THE LONDON GAZETTE, JULY 7 1865.

      Edmund Ellwood, of the Hargreave Farm, Huxley, in
      the county of Chester, Farmer, adjudicated bankrupt on the
      18th day of October, 1864. A Dividend Meeting will be
      held on the 26th day of July instant, at twelve o'clock at
      noon precisely.

      Gillian

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2012
        On 3 Jan 2012 at 10:00, Gillian Mc Kenna wrote:

        > Hi Laura,
        >
        > Is this Edmund Ellwood b1795?
        >
        > THE LONDON GAZETTE, JULY 7 1865.
        >
        > Edmund Ellwood, of the Hargreave Farm, Huxley, in
        > the county of Chester, Farmer, adjudicated bankrupt on the
        > 18th day of October, 1864. A Dividend Meeting will be
        > held on the 26th day of July instant, at twelve o'clock at
        > noon precisely.

        Or Edmund Ellwood, born 1829, Hargrave, Cheshire, son of William Ellwood and
        Elizabeth Cheers?

      • G ROBERTS
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2012
          Dear All

          On balance I think that this is Edmund, son of William Ellwood and Elizabeth Cheers. I think the name of the farm is mis-transcribed and that it should be Hargrave Farm, Huxley.

          If you look at the Hargrave parish registers, before William Ellwood appears as full-time vicar, the names of both William and Edmund Ellwood appear briefly as curates. I have always assumed that this was the Edmund (born 1795) and that he also went into the church, although I do not know where.

          As well as being Vicar of nearby Hargrave, William also held the lease on various bits of land in and around Hargrave and Huxley. William's son Oliver (from whom my wife is descended) also farmed in the area, although he moved to Connah's Quay after the death of his first wife Ruth. I believe at least one of the other brothers farmed in the area and one of the daughters married into a local farming family called Faulkner. Two of the sons (Robert Gilbert and Charles Edward) followed their father into the church. I think another became an auctioneer.

          Oliver's great-granddaughter is still living in Huxley, married to a local farmer.

          Cheers
          Guy Roberts

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2012
            ...and indeed a quick search through the census records, prompted by the previous emails, shows that the bankrupt farmer was indeed the son of William Ellwood and Elizabeth Cheers.

            The Edmund Ellwood born 1795 is more than likely the Edmund Ellwood who appears in the 1841 census aged 45 at Hesketh Bank, near Ormskirk in Lancashire, where his occupation is given as Clerk. He appears to be unmarried and he cannot be traced in the 1851 census.

            Guy

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2012
              On 3 Jan 2012 at 13:31, G ROBERTS wrote:

              > ...and indeed a quick search through the census records, prompted by the
              > previous emails, shows that the bankrupt farmer was indeed the son of William
              > Ellwood and Elizabeth Cheers.   The Edmund Ellwood born 1795 is more than
              > likely the Edmund Ellwood who appears in the 1841 census aged 45 at Hesketh
              > Bank, near Ormskirk in Lancashire, where his occupation is given as Clerk. He
              > appears to be unmarried and he cannot be traced in the 1851 census.   Guy

              The Edmund born 1829, son of William and Elizabeth Cheers, was an auctioneer
              in the 1881 census - perhaps he turned to that after going bankrupt in
              farming?

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2012
                Hi Laura,

                Daniel bap 27/4/1788 Kendal son of Daniel & Hannah was born 22/4/1788 Hugill & died 1/12/1874 Kendal. He was a Husbandman then an innkeeper. He married Frances Airey 16/9/1816 Kendal.

                This info came from Peter.

                --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, "koromiko" <gill.laura1@...> wrote:

                > Hi Everyone,
                >
                > I am a descendant from William Ellwood (1797-1875) and Elizabeth Cheers (1805-1892), thanks to other researchers I know that my line goes back to Edmund Ellwood (1572-1657) & Elizabeth Howe.
                > I have information for William and Elizabeth and their descendants, but am looking for more info on their parents who were Daniel Ellwood and Ann Abbey.
                > Daniel was born June 10 1759 in Kendal and died Dec 1 1842. Ann was born Dec 4 1757.
                > I believe Daniel was a farmer at Otter Bank Skelsmergh, but cant be 100%.
                > They had six children,
                > Hannah 1786
                > Daniel 1788
                > John 1790
                > Edmund 1795
                > Ann 1796
                > William 1797
                > If anyone knows any more about them I would love to hear from you or if you have an interest in my line of the Ellwood's I would be happy to give you more information.
                >
                > Also I visited Dufton in November, so have some photos of John Ellwood gravestone who died 1872 age 77, the church and the inscription in the church as well as a few of Dufton itself. Im sure a few of you will have these yourselves, but just in case thought id meantion it. If anyone is interested il upload them to the yahoo site.
                >

                > Best Wishes
                > Laura

              • O'Brien Family
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 6, 2012
                  Hi Laura

                  Being new to the group has left me a little overawed by the amount of information the group has acquired and totally amazed by the response to my first posting.

                  I personally would be interested in your photos of Dufton even though I have been there.  Sadly the weather was not ideal for photos with incessant showers for our visit.

                  Thanks Graham
                  Daniel bap 27/4/1788 Kendal son of Daniel & Hannah was born 22/4/1788 Hugill & died 1/12/1874 Kendal. He was a Husbandman then an innkeeper. He married Frances Airey 16/9/1816 Kendal.

                  This info came from Peter.

                  --- In ellwood@yahoogroups.com, "koromiko" <gill.laura1@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Everyone,
                  >
                  > I am a descendant from William Ellwood (1797-1875) and Elizabeth Cheers (1805-1892), thanks to other researchers I know that my line goes back to Edmund Ellwood (1572-1657) & Elizabeth Howe.
                  > I have information for William and Elizabeth and their descendants, but am looking for more info on their parents who were Daniel Ellwood and Ann Abbey.
                  > Daniel was born June 10 1759 in Kendal and died Dec 1 1842. Ann was born Dec 4 1757.
                  > I believe Daniel was a farmer at Otter Bank Skelsmergh, but cant be 100%.
                  > They had six children,
                  > Hannah 1786
                  > Daniel 1788
                  > John 1790
                  > Edmund 1795
                  > Ann 1796
                  > William 1797
                  > If anyone knows any more about them I would love to hear from you or if you have an interest in my line of the Ellwood's I would be happy to give you more information.
                  >
                  > Also I visited Dufton in November, so have some photos of John Ellwood gravestone who died 1872 age 77, the church and the inscription in the church as well as a few of Dufton itself. Im sure a few of you will have these yourselves, but just in case thought id meantion it. If anyone is interested il upload them to the yahoo site.
                  >

                  > Best Wishes
                  > Laura

                • koromiko
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 7, 2012
                    Hi All,

                    Thanks for the replies.

                    Graham - I will try to upload the photos to the site, if that doesnt work il email you them seperatly.

                    Gillian - Yes i have been in touch with Peter briefly, more so with Guy Roberts who is also on this site. He sent me a PDF. of the Ellwood line going back to the 1500's, which shows who all the children of Daniel married.

                    I have been busy researching other family lines, so will post some more once i have been back over my notes.

                    Thanks, Laura