Dufton England

  • grahamo_ell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2012
      June 2011 my wife and I visited Dufton chasing family ghosts etc and had a very interesting lunch at the Stag Inn pub in Dufton.

      The landlord of the Stag Inn has taken it upon himself to compile the local history, collecting photos that people have forgotten/hidden in old cupboards and such, plus old documents.

      I was led to believe that this was a venture just starting but had received a great deal of local interest with some great photos already coming to light. (Stories such as, "That's old Bill, can you believe it"? etc)

      Sorry I don't have the gentlemans name but do know that he himself is not a local and had semi retired from the "RAT RACE" but also had the impression that he was extremely interested in local history.
      (Maybe a smart man that sees a business opportunity in the making)

      Assured me that there were no Ellwoods still in the area.

      According to the publican there are 3 US Presidents that have ancestral links to Dufton, George Washington and the Bush family.

      We have a few "should haves" and "could haves" from the trip but if anyone is in the area it may prove worthwhile to contact this gentleman re: photos, history etc that may be of interest to the group.
      A very hard man to nail down for a LONG conversation so try early am before the pub opens.

      Forget trying internet contact, you are lucky if your phone works standing on top of your car - and the locals are proud of that fact, No MODERN lifestyle here.
      Well worth the trip though.

      Graham